Memorial Ghost Bikes

Tubehunter

Thought it would be useful to start a thread to honour fallen riders and create some awareness to hubbers who live in the areas where these are erected!

(That way we can keep a look out for them and when they begin to look a little messy, hopefully fix them back up so that they're not removed if they manage to evade being stolen!)

Fallen Rider: Adre Erasmus

Date of Accident: 20th January 2015

post-1208-0-91079800-1453289368_thumb.jpg

Miss you dude!

Wow, I past Adre lying there on my way home after a Table Mountain Rescue, it has been on of the most shocking events i have experience, but strangely today I rode my bike to work for the first time this year and coincidentally a year to the day after his fatal accident.

Who put the bike there - I hope that this gets done more often - not so the bikers fall, but more so people become aware of cyclist.

Wow, I past Adre lying there on my way home after a Table Mountain Rescue, it has been on of the most shocking events i have experience, but strangely today I rode my bike to work for the first time this year and coincidentally a year to the day after his fatal accident.

Who put the bike there - I hope that this gets done more often - not so the bikers fall, but more so people become aware of cyclist.

Shot for posting cside! Glad you're back on the bike!

Hoping this thread will gather momentum, not because more cyclists get taken out, but rather that these ghost bikes are presented well, honour the fallen when it happens and as a community we keep an eye out for them!

(A few of Adre's work mates were involved in this specific one)

Was in Cape Town recently, what happened to the one in Camps Bay/ Clifton area?

Not sure. Should still be there. Doing a ride through there tomorrow morning. Will check what I find and report back!

Report back. Bakoven bike still there chained to a post. Was hanging onto the training group so couldn't stop for a pic, but doing a solo mission out that way in the next couple of days and will stop to take a decent pic for this thread then!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

This bike got a fresh bit of paint a couple of weeks ago, as it was looking a little weathered and had some rust spots setting in. Got a sand down and fresh enamel.

It was 2 years ago that the accident happened (20th of January)

Pictured with Adre's father!

post-1208-0-02355700-1486989871_thumb.jpg

Is this thread only for Adre? or should we post pics of all the ghost bikes?

think the idea is of ALL Ghost bikes, as a place where they can all be remembered, and their stories shared

think the idea is of ALL Ghost bikes, as a place where they can all be remembered, and their stories shared

Indeed. A thread for all of them so we can keep track of these somehow and make sure they get looked after to some extent as the cycling community.

Archived