Stans Rims + WTB tires = why you no fit

TheBritishTwit

Hi guys

I have recently had to buy a new set of rims due to a accident during transporting my bike (below).

On the standard rubbish rims that i had previous live a pair of WTB Wolverine tires which i think are amazing. They seem to have a high rolling resistance however on the off road tracks and races like the Nissan Trailseeker Lionman, the tires gripped like a beast.

Due to the accident, instead of claiming for the damaged rim I decided to purchase a set of Stans Arch EX rims with Hope hubs from CWC.

Unfortunately it seems that its almost impossible to fit the tires even with 3 people trying to get them on.

I did a bit of research and it seems this is a common issue on the planet with even Stans themselves recommending that I don't use WTB tires as per the below link: 

http://www.notubes.com/help/recommendedtires.aspx

So I would like to know which tires would be best to use to match the grip of the WTB with maybe a little less rolling resistance.

Please note that the rims are 29" and the setup will be tubeless.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

post-74802-0-80500400-1453366585_thumb.jpeg

Instead of buying new tyres, put the WTB's in the sun for a couple of hours to make them more pliable, then try to mount. It helped me when mounting the Weirwolf on my old rims. It's not only the STANS rims that have the problem... 

Wtb tightened their tolerances after someone in the states rolled a tyre off the rim and sued them.

Instead of buying new tyres, put the WTB's in the sun for a couple of hours to make them more pliable, then try to mount. It helped me when mounting the Weirwolf on my old rims. It's not only the STANS rims that have the problem... 

I would also try this before switching to new tyres. Put them in a black bag to speed up the process. Some people also put tyres in the oven at low heat for a similar effect.

Also, interesting tan line on your hand there!

WTB tyres are made to the proper UST standard.

Stans rims aren't.

There are PInkbike articles on the subject if you want to research.

It is possible with a struggle, a lot of cursing and 3 crowbar tyre levers, the picture below is of Arch EX with a pair of WTB Weirwolf 2.3's on. I have also fitted Wolverine's onto the same rims. 29inch of course!

post-1407-0-39017500-1453368816_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-87919300-1453369160_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about allowing the tire to stretch and then putting it on the rim afterwards however i was reading post last night on the matter and someone mentioned should I get a slit in the tire in a race or on a trail, getting the tire may be problematic in order for me to put a tube in.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about allowing the tire to stretch and then putting it on the rim afterwards however i was reading post last night on the matter and someone mentioned should I get a slit in the tire in a race or on a trail, getting the tire may be problematic in order for me to put a tube in.

Never had this problem with this tyre rim combo. Once it is on then it stretches, so each time afterwards is easier.

" Wtb tightened their tolerances after someone in the states rolled a tyre off the rim and sued them. " 

Above is true -- they are paranoid now. Stan's Rims also have their own tolerances and the fact of the matter is that STANS + WTB is not a good route to go.

STANS + KENDA ( or MAXXIS or CONTINENTAL or SCHWALBE ) is perfect. 

if you do not come right why not look at the following tyre options:

Maxxis Ardent (front) + Maxxis Ikon (Rear)

Maxxis Ikon Race (front) + Maxxis Crossmark (Rear)

my 5c use it dont use it!

I run Vittoria 2.2 rear and 2,25 front on my Stans Arch rims,very happy with the combination.

I was just thinking so you heat the WTB  tyre an manage to get it on ...And 20 ks into a ride you get a puncture that the sealant wont seal...and you have to pop in a tube,this could mean a fair push home.

Guest notmyname

It is possible with a struggle, a lot of cursing and 3 crowbar tyre levers, the picture below is of Arch EX with a pair of WTB Weirwolf 2.3's on. I have also fitted Wolverine's onto the same rims. 29inch of course!

Sick ride.

Jho! Nice bike!

Archived