Trans Karoo MTB RACE

Shrek1

Milky it is rated a catogory 1 climb if that helps. The fact that you get him at 180km is not helping either. But there is no doubt in my mind that I will battle even with only 10km in my legs.

Edit: But we know I am not in your league. :) You might find it easier.

listen I don't know what you are talking about "your league" you know my situation and It goes like this, I still need to get to your league darling ???? And I'm Very very far right now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting fact, at 172km you reach the lowest altitude of the ride 450m. that is 8 km before Ouberg so you get to do plenty of climbing  :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

If it is your first time I would recommend the following : 

1) Make sure you can spend a lot of time in the saddle. Before I did my first TransKaroo I did a few rides that took me close to 5 hours, yet that is nothing compared to the 12+ hours I did on TransKaroo

2) Study the route so that you know what to expect. Many people are caught out by the distance between checkpoints and find themselves dehydrated and in a state where they have to bail. The hardest part is checkpoint 2 to 3 where you cross the border between WC and NC. This is a long stress - ration your water.

3) Plan your ride - ride your plan. There is a reason they keep on mentioning that. You cannot over plan this ride

4) Go to the briefing. Snacks are good, Pieter's dry humour is entertaining. Most of all you get your boxes and that gives you time to think about what you might need on checkpoints where no support crew is present. 

5) Don't stress about it too much. My best ride was the 2nd up ride (2014) because I did not worry about it too much. You can do this, it is not impossible, you just need to have the endurance, never give 100% (save some for the end).

6) Be in the moment. Most normal human beings will spend from sunrise to sunset (and beyond) on their MTB - but the next day you find yourself thinking about what you did 24 hours before, you won't stop thinking back. So make sure you take it in as it happens. 

Hope that helps, ask if there is anything else you want to know. Personally I always ride solo, those long stretches where no signs of civilization are to be seen gets under your skin. Enjoy it.

Thanks, you have just put the fear of God into me but im still in for the long haul. I lie awake planning but I think I must just ride within myself and leave the rest to fate. The only major bonus is the 12kg im down so far since upping the training.

You'll be OK since you are training and you are taking it seriously. The usual victims are those that just jump in blindly and see how it goes.

Personally I tend to worry about it too much before the time, this year I am trying to stress less and just envision that it will be like to ride and finish it. 

Heard some rumours that the race will be cancelled, then got the newsletter that one of the sponsors pulled out, but has since been replaced (guess that is where the rumours came from)

Pity that the organisers seem to struggle to really get this race going, but seems numbers are slowly growing every year so I hope this race sticks around, one of the better races out there in my biased opinion. (So if this one is on your list rather enter sooner than later...)

Now to start getting those long training rides in!

I honestly hope it sticks around because it is awesome, if not forever then at least for this year so I can get into the Windpomp club  :whistling:

• 1 month later...

A sunset you won't forget.

attachicon.gifsimg_20140426_173254.jpg

I am bricking myself with 11 days to go. I am not going to get any fitter in the next 10 days so its all guts and hopefully glory. See you all at the start.

Chill, it's going to be fine. Since we are not starting at Eselfontein we do not have to worry about the Swaarmoed pass. It's mostly down to CP1 from Kaleo, total ascent is under 3000m this time round so we should be in Sutherland a bit sooner than 2014/2012.

Pleasant weather is what I am hoping for. That is what we had in the previous 4 years. Start will be cold, below 10 'C I am guessing, but as we traverse the big flat bit of Karoo to Bizaansgat it will get hot.

Please remember that getting from Bizaansgat to Zeekoei gat will require you to carfeully ration your water. Be sure you have had enough to drink before you leave CP2 (Bizaansgat) as you will need all the water you can carry to reach CP3

waterbottles or camelbak?

Whatever your preference?

I easily managed on 2 waterbottles, but I would imagine some of the backmarkers would want to take extra precautions and take a camelback

Two waterbottles also works for me, just ration your water over the distance to the next checkpoint. 

post-38519-0-97972500-1461143133_thumb.jpg

Archived