Trans Karoo MTB RACE

Shrek1

Excellent! Thanks. I hope they get the sponsors sorted to host this again next year. I spoke to the route director and he said if there is a next one it will be a down ride following the same route. That means one helluva tricky section towards Kaleo at the end. 

I'm happy with 33 place and improved 21 minutes on my last upride in 2014.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent! Thanks. I hope they get the sponsors sorted to host this again next year. I spoke to the route director and he said if there is a next one it will be a down ride following the same route. 

I know someone who started cycling  2 months before the Transbaviaans, then managed to doddle along at an average speed of 10km/h and still made the finish before cut-off time... Not to knock the TB, but with the stricter cut-off times (17h vs 24h), 20km longer distance and throw in Ouberg he never would not have come close to finishing the Trans Karoo Up ride. Judging by Strava my guestimate is that at least 20% of the starters on Saturday didn't make the cut-offs at checkpoint 3 & 4. That this race is harder to conquer for us average weekend warriors is part of the appeal to me, you really have to train, plan & pace yourself properly to do well in this race.

I am at a loss to understand why this race doesn't attract more riders, it's a proper & unique mtb challenge, well organised, the vibe is friendly and the waterpoints well stocked. If the organisers can keep this one going I will definitely be back in the future.

The Trans Karoo won't hurt you if you go prepared. I made the mistake of doing the Safari Half Marathon yesterday. Did not go too hard and did 1:51 but added ontop of TK legs and today I have jelly legs.

I would love to ride Transbaviaans, and not to knock it, I do think it is a bit easier than a Trans Karoo upride. My only problem is I always ride solo and I don't think they will ever open it to solo riders.

Next up for me is Amarider 100 miler and then the magical Cederberg 100 miler. If you like Trans Karoo you will love Cederberg. Finishing at Kaleo is awesome.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Just want to give a shout out to the race organisers!!

I found this a VERY tough, but enjoyable race!! Well organised and everything went smooth (from my point of view) :-)  

Waterpoints were well stocked and had what's required!! The boerewors and sosaties at 150km and 200km were GREAT!

It was very cold from the start till the finish and I think that played a major role in the large number of DNF's!!!

a Pity that the race entry numbers are dwindling and that no main sponsor can be found. Ouberg pass lived up to its huge reputation!! a Brute of a climb after 190km's in the saddle!! 

Kudos to all finishers!!.....and the winner Chris Wolhuter! :thumbup:

The Trans Karoo won't hurt you if you go prepared. I made the mistake of doing the Safari Half Marathon yesterday. Did not go too hard and did 1:51 but added ontop of TK legs and today I have jelly legs.

I would love to ride Transbaviaans, and not to knock it, I do think it is a bit easier than a Trans Karoo upride. My only problem is I always ride solo and I don't think they will ever open it to solo riders.

Next up for me is Amarider 100 miler and then the magical Cederberg 100 miler. If you like Trans Karoo you will love Cederberg. Finishing at Kaleo is awesome.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I support you with regards to solo riding - that would most probably makes TB much harder for the rider - one should speak to the organisers overthere about solo entries.

Riding TB with a partner is tough in the sense of getting the partner dynamics right, so with a solo race you don't have those Concerns.

Wrt to numbers You really only have to see the amount of events around the country to understand why some are not over subscribed / well attended. If there was no Swartbeg100 Gran Fondo i most certainly would've done the Trans Karoo. Others just finished J2C, while others are planning for S2C.

The Swartberg 100 is tempting. For me the requirements for a cycle event is single stage solo rider. I have my doubts if they will ever open TB to solo riders since it is already over full, so they don't need more riders really. 

That said I won't be able to afford it for the next 5 years - I am doing K2C until I have 10 in the bag, so one trip a year to that side of the country is enough. Maybe I'll see what the scene is like in 2020. 

Wrt to numbers You really only have to see the amount of events around the country to understand why some are not over subscribed / well attended. If there was no Swartbeg100 Gran Fondo i most certainly would've done the Trans Karoo. Others just finished J2C, while others are planning for S2C.

I agree, there are a lot of races competing for our money this time of the year. I think the other big "clash" is the 361 which is just 2(?) weeks earlier. A number of people in my training group opted for that this time.

Last year the down ride sold out, so maybe that is more appealing to people because you go down Ouberg and not up! Who knows, might happen again next year.

Ek is mal oor die TK en het dit verlede jaar ook gery - alles is goed georganiseer en waterpunte was laasjaar baie goed gewees. Ek weet vrouens in die sport kry nie altyd al die "eer" wat hulle verdien nie. (die vroue wat klaarmaak het actually dieselfde roete gery as die mans) 

Al wat my bietjie gepla het by vanjaar se event - 2 van my vriendinne het op die podium geeindig, maar hulle het niks gekry vir hulle harde werk nie?? Ek se nie hulle moet duisende rande wen nie, maar hel - selfs 'n ou vouchertjie by Sutherland se cafe maak dit darem so bietjie die moeite werd!  :whistling:

Verder love ek die event! Thanks vir almal se organisasie!

Ek is mal oor die TK en het dit verlede jaar ook gery - alles is goed georganiseer en waterpunte was laasjaar baie goed gewees. Ek weet vrouens in die sport kry nie altyd al die "eer" wat hulle verdien nie. (die vroue wat klaarmaak het actually dieselfde roete gery as die mans)

Al wat my bietjie gepla het by vanjaar se event - 2 van my vriendinne het op die podium geeindig, maar hulle het niks gekry vir hulle harde werk nie?? Ek se nie hulle moet duisende rande wen nie, maar hel - selfs 'n ou vouchertjie by Sutherland se cafe maak dit darem so bietjie die moeite werd! :whistling:

Verder love ek die event! Thanks vir almal se organisasie!

if im not mistaken the rule for the prize money was winner take all, now if they have something to 2nd & 3rd place I would also

Be upset. Either way write a blog like Gun-Rita Dahle Flecha did make it go viral right here on the bike hub, that's the only way the organizers will sit up & take note.

if im not mistaken the rule for the prize money was winner take all, now if they have something to 2nd & 3rd place I would also

Be upset. Either way write a blog like Gun-Rita Dahle Flecha did make it go viral right here on the bike hub, that's the only way the organizers will sit up & take note.

I don't think lollos is referring to the big advertised R10K prize money. More like a token of recognition?

There were very few lady riders, only 4 solo finishers, wonder why the ladies are so scared of this one  :ph34r: - but kudos to the few that attempted it.

I know someone who started cycling  2 months before the Transbaviaans, then managed to doddle along at an average speed of 10km/h and still made the finish before cut-off time... Not to knock the TB, but with the stricter cut-off times (17h vs 24h), 20km longer distance and throw in Ouberg he never would not have come close to finishing the Trans Karoo Up ride. Judging by Strava my guestimate is that at least 20% of the starters on Saturday didn't make the cut-offs at checkpoint 3 & 4. That this race is harder to conquer for us average weekend warriors is part of the appeal to me, you really have to train, plan & pace yourself properly to do well in this race.

I am at a loss to understand why this race doesn't attract more riders, it's a proper & unique mtb challenge, well organised, the vibe is friendly and the waterpoints well stocked. If the organisers can keep this one going I will definitely be back in the future.

I think therein lies the answer to why it doesn't attract more riders. I'd love to do this event, but I'm not fast enough to make the cut-offs. Baviaans attracts more riders because it's doable 

I think therein lies the answer to why it doesn't attract more riders. I'd love to do this event, but I'm not fast enough to make the cut-offs. Baviaans attracts more riders because it's doable 

Pity it is only for teams. A bicycle has one handlebar for a reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

I missed the cut off at CP3 by a few minutes. I will definitely be back and better prepared for the cold and the ruts in the road. My kidneys took a beating so its riding with a kidney belt and thicker gloves and shoe covers for me. See you all on the down ride next year.

Archived