[Event] Fine Breede MTB

Carlen

Hats off to the race organizers. Great job. I suffered big time. Glad route markings and race distance was spot on ????

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I really suffered on the 30.  2h50 odd.  I have to hang my head in shame. My 26er and those rocky singletracks and climbs were not mates, and probably I don't want to see another stone for a month.  I had to push some places up Boesmanskop.  It is not that steep, but I just felt terrible today, and somehow it felt like 35 degs when I got there.  I also struggled with the narrow singletrack on the slopes.  Felt like my bike just wanted to go down that mountain.

Organisation was super, and both me and my wife go something in the lucky draw.

Edited by Moridin

Good ride as always. Brought my wife and kid with and they really enjoyed the outing, did not even notice I was gone for 3h15 while doing the 60KM. I love how they put in all the challenging bits in the first 25KM and that the second half is dirt road cruising. Perfectly balanced race.

Looking forward to the 70K Wolseley in 3 months time. 

post-38519-0-88990800-1460211185_thumb.jpg

Just a note to Carlen and Slanghoek Louis.  My older son was amongst the riders in the leading bunches of the 30km race, and he complained about the slow 60km traffic that they got on the singletrack up in the mountain, which is very narrow for quite a distance, and made an impact on their racing.  Maybe either start the 60km race an hour earlier, or maybe not allow the 60 km race the use so much of the 30km trails, especially in the first hour and a half of the race.

Just a recommendation to take to the planning team.

Edited by Moridin

Good point, however 7:30 is as early as is comfortable for those who drive in. Perhaps if one catches the back markers of the 60K it's time to do the 60K?

Yes, he has just turned 16, and has not done a 50km+ race yet, so maybe next year.

EDIT:  I know this is really a fun ride, and not a race,  but you know how competitive boys can be.

Edited by Moridin

BTW, another note:  best post race vibe of any race I have been to as yet. Love it.

Just let us eat the potjiekos earlier.  My sons kept asking when they can eat.  Their tummies were in uproar with all that nice aromas floating about, and not being able to tuck in.

Edited by Moridin

I know exactly what you mean, can be very frustrating when slower back markers that are not always clued-up about yielding to faster riders get in the way. I had a friend that started at the back with the temps and he remarked that he had to clear come pretty crazy riders to catch up with me. 

What if we start the day with 60km MA number and 30km MA riders and 60km MB and 30km MB together and so on. 

My opinion is that they are going well together as they are all racing snakes.

Slanghoek Louis

Excellent idea. PPA has never done that, but on a route like this it could really work. They will need two start lines though. 

Don't know about 2 starting blocks.  Ppa has so many marshalls present that I can't forsee problems starting together. With the little tar and the the landing strip and De Liefde gravel road they are going to sort each other out for sure

Slanghoek Louis

What if we start the day with 60km MA number and 30km MA riders and 60km MB and 30km MB together and so on. 

My opinion is that they are going well together as they are all racing snakes.

Slanghoek Louis

Brilliant idea.  Especially since the M batches were quite small.  And they will normally be at about the same speed, more or less.  And some of these youngsters are incredibly talented on the technical stuff. 

There were many debates and issues around long and short routes joining near the end of a race / ride that we as riders got that changed to a great extent. 

I am going to pursue this idea. We can make a difference. 

Please give me some more opinions

Slanghoek Louis