repairs to Cree lights

hagar

Wow they market their product aggressively but don't work on them???!!!

Was planning to get one of their new lights at CTCT Expo but I think I'll pass and up the budget for an Exposure or Lupine.

That's not really fair. Labour costs and its uneconomical to fix most devices. The light in question is an older model and its unlikely they have spares around so its not a simple swap either.

I have spent hours diagnosing devices and I could buy multiple new devices for the labour I would have to charge for fixing one device.

Imagine R350 P/H (This is what most of your artisans charge) then add parts. Most people elect to not repair thus the artisan is a expense with no justification.

Wow they market their product aggressively but don't work on them???!!!

Was planning to get one of their new lights at CTCT Expo but I think I'll pass and up the budget for an Exposure or Lupine.

Just to clear up the confusion.

We do work on our own lights.

I am not sure where it was stated that we don't.

Good Morning

is there anyone here on the forum that knows of a place preferably in Cape town that can fix my cycle light

.I bought it from Extreme Lights about 4 years ago (5 cree) not sure how many lumens  but they say they don't do work on the lights .  

The battery has been checked and the charger and it appears that the headlamp is no longer working . Whilst cycling the other morning I did notice that it started flashing on its own and I thought it was just the battery but it was obviously not .

I suspect it could be the circuit board or a component on the board.

I remember many years ago there was a Hubber " Mountain Lion " he built his own lights and was wondering if there are still guys here that do that type of thing that could look at the light for me and if there was any way it could be repaired .

Thanks

Possible misinterpretation of the OPs wording in the first post.

Glad it will get sorted, I agree with Amberdrake though, when dealing with SMD components and possibly smaller, just the time to troubleshoot the board will outweigh the cost of a replacement, so unless its a clear loose connection or brown LED the cheapest is just to change the driver.

Shipping takes forever and it uses the POST OFFICE ?

That being said I have bought things that way, its worth the effort if not that expensive.

Unless i need something urgently i always order from china/america. I bought 3 LED lights for the price that one would have costed me. Even if it is still not the same cree x6 or whatever LEDs, with my crap eyesight eveything is doff anyways.

I am looking at an android stick pc, locally at suppliers they are 800excl. you can get them online here for 1.4k, checked the ebays and banggoods and they are $30 incl shipping, so if the post office dont pick it up coming in (which they pick up maybe 10% of the stuff i import) it will cost almost half of what the suppliers ask here and less than a third than what it cost in retailers.

".I bought it from Extreme Lights about 4 years ago (5 cree) not sure how many lumens  but they say they don't do work on the lights .  "

Not my words

I bought a new xc light at 2k but just thought that I could get this old one of mine fixed as it really has not been used much and I really don't think the led's have blown I would like to have a spare and would like to use it when I do a few  of night rides on the mountain bike .

There are normally quite a few guys that like to fiddle with these things and can fix them it just seems such a waste to throw something away that could be simple to fix a loose wire or replace a small component I really am totally in the dark when it comes to these lights and rely on others to guide me .

thanks for all the input and suggestions much appreciated when one starts to ask it is amazing how helpful the people here can be .

that $6 light still amazes me .

Thanks

Anything from China takes ages to arrive, from two weeks to three months. So basically if you like something you need to keep stock, so to speak. I have two lights, when something blows on one, I then order the replacement parts (battery usually) while I use the spare. There are no issues with quality.

Aliexpress also stock decent LED small torch lights that are AAA battery powered which can be used on bicycles. I have ordered a few of these as extra backup (yes, backup for my backup, but that's how I roll). They are about 2 to 3 dollars for a decent light with similar brightness to these CREE Lights that are so good. You would have to replace the 3 AAA's every second ride or so. 

Archived