repairs to Cree lights

hagar

Good Morning

is there anyone here on the forum that knows of a place preferably in Cape town that can fix my cycle light

.I bought it from Extreme Lights about 4 years ago (5 cree) not sure how many lumens  but they say they don't do work on the lights .  

The battery has been checked and the charger and it appears that the headlamp is no longer working . Whilst cycling the other morning I did notice that it started flashing on its own and I thought it was just the battery but it was obviously not .

I suspect it could be the circuit board or a component on the board.

I remember many years ago there was a Hubber " Mountain Lion " he built his own lights and was wondering if there are still guys here that do that type of thing that could look at the light for me and if there was any way it could be repaired .

Thanks

If you can open it, there is often a loose wire that can be soldered where the power attaches to the circuit board.

The base lights are very cheap on Aliexpress.com or eBay.

ok will open it up and check it out thanks .

ok will open it up and check it out thanks .

Sent you a link, 6 dollars, choose the one that is not USB connection. I have a couple of these lights, the newer LED's use less power.

as martinpe said, just order one from ebay/aliexpress/banggood. way cheaper anyways and probably the same quality. i have an ebay model which i have been riding with for a good couple of years without issues.

Shipping takes forever and it uses the POST OFFICE ?

That being said I have bought things that way, its worth the effort if not that expensive.

Light could be repaired depending on whats wrong with it. Someone with electronics skills can attempt to diagnose whats wrong. There are a few electronics suppliers in Cape Town/Online that should be able to assist with parts. (Mantech/Yeboo/etc...)

How can they possibly do that. $6 and free shipping to SA? Insane.

How can they possibly do that. $6 and free shipping to SA? Insane.

just sounds too good to be true :w00t:

Shipping takes forever and it uses the POST OFFICE ?

That being said I have bought things that way, its worth the effort if not that expensive.

Light could be repaired depending on whats wrong with it. Someone with electronics skills can attempt to diagnose whats wrong. There are a few electronics suppliers in Cape Town/Online that should be able to assist with parts. (Mantech/Yeboo/etc...)

I really think its a loose wire somewhere because it was almost like in the flashing mode so I really did not take too much notice but yes I will see if I can get someone to look at it only problem is I am located in Velddrif so it will have to wait till I can get in to town but I will try ManTech or yeboo thanks

Why not contact Extreme Lights themselves and arrange the repair?

Maybe he can shed some light on the situation?

I got great help from them! 

Why not contact Extreme Lights themselves and arrange the repair?

Think he did "but they say they don't do work on the lights"

I have worked on a few of these lights and had mixed success, could be be a faulty button or a LED on the way out.

Depending on the light and the design it should be repairable, but even then, postage, purchase of parts like the LED etc may make it uneconomical.

I'd be willing to give it a go, but R200 postage (to JHB and Back) is almost half the cost of a new light and you would have a spare battery.

Undo the screws under the handlebar mount, then the front ring / lens should twist off, you can then get the board and switch out to check for any loose connections.

Edit: Grammar 

Think he did "but they say they don't do work on the lights"

I have worked on a few of these lights and had mixed success, could be be a faulty button or a LED on the way out.

Depending on the light and the design it should be repairable, but even then, postage, purchase of parts like the LED etc may make it uneconomical.

I'd be willing to give it a go, but R200 postage (to JHB and Back) is almost half the cost of a new light and you would have a spare battery.

Undo the screws under the handlebar mount, then the front ring / lens should twist off, you can then get the board and switch out to check for any loose connections.

Edit: Grammar 

Strange.... Hannes builds these lights, and the last time I had a problem with my non Extreme Lights light, he said I could bring it over. Wonder why the change in attitude?

Wow they market their product aggressively but don't work on them???!!!

Was planning to get one of their new lights at CTCT Expo but I think I'll pass and up the budget for an Exposure or Lupine.

I closer but still to far away to really check it out without significant cost in either shipping or petrol. My time is limited as well so will take some time before I could get to it regardless. 

Mantech and Yeboo wont fix anything, they sometimes advise and sell you parts but don't actually work on devices. 

Good Morning

is there anyone here on the forum that knows of a place preferably in Cape town that can fix my cycle light

.I bought it from Extreme Lights about 4 years ago (5 cree) not sure how many lumens  but they say they don't do work on the lights .  

The battery has been checked and the charger and it appears that the headlamp is no longer working . Whilst cycling the other morning I did notice that it started flashing on its own and I thought it was just the battery but it was obviously not .

I suspect it could be the circuit board or a component on the board.

I remember many years ago there was a Hubber " Mountain Lion " he built his own lights and was wondering if there are still guys here that do that type of thing that could look at the light for me and if there was any way it could be repaired .

Thanks

Hi Hagar,

I will send you a PM and we can arrange to have your light fixed for you and get you back on your bike as soon as possible.

Regards,

Pieter

Archived