[Event] Ashburton Investments National MTB Series #6 DULLSTROOM

WesselvdWalt

Event Name: Ashburton Investments National MTB Series #6 DULLSTROOM
When: 3 September 2016 - 4 September 2016
Where: Dunkeld Country Estate, Bosman Street, Dullstroom, Mpumalang, Mpumulanga
Category: MTB

The quaint little town of Dullstroom, synonymous with fly-fishing, art and high altitude, will become the new retreat for mountain bikers in middle September. The town is nestled on the foot of De Berg, which is the highest point in the province at two thousand three hundred and thirty two meters above sea level, and features the perfect recipe for hosting some of the best that mountain biking has to offer.

Rolling hills, flowing hand built single track, natural foot paths and some serious mountains, the route is absolutely any mountain bikers dream!

Go to Event Page

• 5 months later...

Is there a bikeshop in Dullstroom? I broke my chainring today,and are currently stuck in Tshipise,and are going through to dullstroom on friday.

Always a great race this... Tough routes, great waterpoints, one hell of a long climb on the Ultra and Marathon routes, excellent start/finish venue and the weather is always... ummm... interesting! Just remember that when you take your bike off the bike rack you will be out of breath already - the start is at over 2000 metres above sea level!

we did a few parts of this route as in the dark as part of an adventure race a few weeks back, needless to say the big climb mentioned above, is a proper climb, and if it hasn't rained since then, the surface is not gonna be fun...

Pack warm clothing whatever the weather forecast says and keep your powder dry for that HUGE mother####### of a climb in the marathon and ultra.

Flipping tough race...glad i'm not riding with my current levels of unfitness

What is the distance and ascent for the marathon? I thought route will be better due to no rain yet, what do you mean dave303?

Any idea how this compares to Van gaalen or Clarens marathon?

I'm all nerves about this one. Even though my goal is just to finish the marathon I still get nerves. Weird that!

Is there a bikeshop in Dullstroom? I broke my chainring today,and are currently stuck in Tshipise,and are going through to dullstroom on friday.

There is a bike shop in Lydenburg (Mashishing) about 30mins from Dullstroom. Never been there myself but always see it when I drive past.

What is the distance and ascent for the marathon? I thought route will be better due to no rain yet, what do you mean dave303?

Any idea how this compares to Van gaalen or Clarens marathon?

Its not massively technical but it is at altitude, and has one monster climb towards the end.

right - so did this race...

It was tough, the route was challenging without being crazy, you had to have your wits about on some of the descents but not crazy difficult.

The climbs where tough and sandy as per the warning and it got hot towards the end of the race, was very happy to have the concrete descent towards the end - all in a great day out. Definitely in for next year! 

Posted this on another thread but it actually belongs here"

Ok, so this one turned out to be quite tough because of that 9km never-ending climb at about 51km I think. Man - it took me an hour to get to the top!

Cycled with a couple of mates who were new to MTB but mad enough to do this race. One went OTB on that steep loose descent after the first water point.
He had some "interesting" cuts and grazes and my plasters wouldn't stick on him but a good Samaritan had Staaldruppels and a bandage thing which patched him up.

If he sees this post - Cheers mate! thanks for stopping and helping!