[Event] Gravel & Grape MTB 3-day Challenge

News bot

Event Name: Gravel & Grape MTB 3-day Challenge
When: 6 May 2016 - 8 May 2016
Where: ATKV Goudini Spa, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The 2nd annual Gravel & Grape 3-day MTB Challenge is taking place from 06 – 08 May 2016.

How much fun can you have on a wine route? Well besides the expected offering of quality wines and hearty country food, we also throw in majestic mountains which combine with vineyards and sparkling rivers to create a natural playground offering healthy outdoor fun for mountain bikers.

Not to mention our hot springs, stunning Fynbos and warm hospitable people who are passionate about winemaking and the valley in which we live. The Breedekloof Wine Valley is just 1 hour from Cape Town, along the N1, and includes Rawsonville, Slanghoek, Goudini & Breerivier.

So what makes the Gravel & Grape 3-day Mountain Bike Challenge different to other stage races? The fact that the race village is based at a hot water resort, the ATKV Goudini Spa, making this a family weekend instead of just another rider event.

We offer kilometers of sometimes challenging and sometimes sheer sublime routes through the magnificent and varied scenery of the Breedekloof Wine Valley. Although the race is aimed at all riders, each day’s route has a good variety of single track and climbs to make this race a challenge for the experienced riders as well.

The race itself takes place in a clover leaf format, with each day starting and ending at ATKV Goudini Spa. To make this a true family experience, Goudini Spa will offer a family programme of events and activities to keep everyone entertained during the weekend.

Go to Event Page

Hi.

You can also ask a precise definition from the front runners last year. Darren Lill ,  Adriaan Louw , Jurgens Uys , Renay Goustra and Matt Beers and more. They can can tell you what you want to know.  The sharp end gives you an idea of what you want to know.

Slanghoek Louis

Day 3 manager GravelandGrape 2016

Having pro's at a race doesn't mean its a good or well organized race, but I've done some homework and from from ehat I've heard its an amazing race!!!

Looking forward to it

Anyone doing this event this year or last year?

Thoughts?

I am going back for my second. Middle of the packer. Enjoyed it so much that I gave up Sani2c for this. Honest value for money. Definitely not only for beginners!!!

I am going back for my second. Middle of the packer. Enjoyed it so much that I gave up Sani2c for this. Honest value for money. Definitely not only for beginners!!!

Awesome!!!! See you there and please give me your thoughts on the route ect.

Awesome!!!! See you there and please give me your thoughts on the route ect.

The route is awesome, but challenging, especially if very dry. This is where they farm with rocks and sand. Get your skills on.

Edit. There are NO free km's on this ride. Day 2 is well worth it!

Edited by Dick

Having pro's at a race doesn't mean its a good or well organized race, but I've done some homework and from from ehat I've heard its an amazing race!!!

Looking forward to it

Enjoyed it so much that I gave up Sani2c for this. 

Wow! That is quite a recommendation. Planning to do it next year, will book the whole family into Goudini for the weekend.

The route is awesome, but challenging, especially if very dry. This is where they farm with rocks and sand. Get your skills on.

Edit. There are NO free km's on this ride. Day 2 is well worth it!

Thanks!! Will see how it goes, this will be part of training for Wine 2 Whales this year, first stage race with new partner and we are riding Wine 2 Whales together as well.....so this will be a test for us.

Planning to do this race every  year from now on, so lets hope it all goes well.

Wow! That is quite a recommendation. Planning to do it next year, will book the whole family into Goudini for the weekend.

That is exactly the thing. Family and no unpacking and packing daily. I think it is great value and my family too. Last year I underestimated this ride (my partner and I have done many multistage races together - so not a noob mistake).

That is exactly the thing. Family and no unpacking and packing daily. I think it is great value and my family too. Last year I underestimated this ride (my partner and I have done many multistage races together - so not a noob mistake).

By saying that I fully agree, perfect weekend away for the whole family!

Is this a tough race??? What domyou mean by underestimate? Heavy climbs?

Route profile looks fairly fine for me, but one the day it might be different

I will have to go look back at my Garmin but we thought it would be mostly Gravel grinding. Nice parts with hand built trails and enough surprises to keep you focused. Enough climbing to keep you honest. It fitted just right with an experienced middle of the packer.

It is not too much of the one or the other, but no free km's (in other words there is no where, well maybe 10 km per day, where you can rest. You are either going up slightly to very (depending on where you come from) technical climbs, negotiating river sand or river stones (OK rocks) and lekker single track 70%.

There is NO, or very little, open Karoo to Coast highway.

Hi guys and gals. 

You are going to be sorry if you have not entered.  This is real mtb stuff.  You did buy a mtb.  "Mountain bike" and not a "Gravel grinder bike" . So come and ride your mtb in mtb territory. 

We are so, so privileged to have a beautiful natural environment to enjoy our sport. The Breedekloof area has so much to offer. Come and experience some riding and racing in our valleys and mountains. 

Once you have enjoyed real mountain biking,  you shall have the right to say I am a real "Mountain biker" . Any rock and hill and downhill I can ride with confidence.

Enter our stage race and be what you are.  A mountain biker. Riding our bikes are what's is important and mostly be caused we want to enjoy it and be free!

Thanks for your support and your love for our sport! !!!!

Slanghoek Louis