Canyon Bikes, anyone bought online and had it shipped to SA

Sidmouth

with all the demand, did no one nick Lakata and Hynek's bikes whilst they were here?!

Is Erik not around??? :whistling: :ph34r: :thumbup:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Canyon Roadlite purchased in 2013. Purchased while I still lived overseas. At the time, when UK bikeshops were selling road bikes with Shimano 105 for £1000, I picked up my bike with Full Ultegra groupset and Aksium Wheels for a £100 more. The bike still rides like a dream today. For an aluminium bike, it weighs 7.8Kg for a Large frame! Not too shabby.

My next bike will be a Canyon again - delivered to UK and then shipped or brought over by a mate when he visits. Their supply chain is seriously borked at the moment - unacceptable delays - so hope they sort their crap out soon because their bikes are lovely.

So after weeks of research to replace my Mountain Bike Frame, the Canyon Lux seems to be the best bike for price and Specs, about R27K with Kashima coated Fox shocks.

Has anyone gone this route and secondly, I still on the Large Extra/Large border, are there bikes big or small fits.

https://www.canyon.com/en/mtb/lux/f-lux-cf.html

Hi

They are great bikes. I have a few mates that have ordered them for Europe delivery and they had no issues.

I also met a guy in Hermanus in Dec that had just had one shipped to Cape Town and he was super happy with it and it did not cost him an arm or leg either.

He said it worked out way cheaper than buying anything local. 30 - 35% all in.

Couple of things I have learnt from research and my mates purchases.

Canyon sizing is on the small side. So always go one size bigger than they recommend on their web site.

You will save the 20% VAT because it going out of Europe, but will pay 14% Vat when it lands. Still a 6% saving. That 6% goes towards the 10% duty you will have to pay.

Overall not as bad as you might think for an amazing bike. You could not buy all the parts for the price of their complete bike. No idea how they do it.

Canyon also build in batches. If they have stock, you in business, if not you will need to wait quiet a while. No instant gratification shopping here.

From what I have learnt, a worth while option, but remember your LBS might be a little less helpful if you have a problem.

Happy shopping.

• 9 months later...

Bought a Canyon Aeroad Recently. Love it. My reason for buying is i wanted one. If you want a Canyon get it for that reason not the price. 

As to local bike shops. I would rather pay 10x more and buy the tool to do it myself anyway. I have never had a bike come back completely right after taking it to a shop. Iv even watched a bike shop use a hammer to hammer in a bearing instead of a press ( braking the replacement beating in the process) not to mention scratches on the frame striping bolts etc. (3 separate well known bike shops, 6 occasions). There is nothing you tube cant do better. 

As to the frame size. I was worried at first, although the online suggestion is spot on for me, 1.88m tall size L. The only problem would be the fine adjustment of the stem length if you want to be more stretched out. You cant change the integrated stem length nor buy a different integrated system with the bike. And the bike is low in front. If you cant touch your toes warmed up dont even think about getting this bike, at least till you can. I would say finger joints on the floor for a comfortable position. The bike is a definite incentive to do your stretches after every ride. Flexibility can b worked on!

All the best

Archived