Giant Maestro suspension bearing sizes

HugovdMerwe

Not sure if I'm reading that right.... "Are roller bearings better; No; Roller Bearings are better".

My understanding on the bushing is that the "stiction" is the main deterrent - ie force required to start the movement. Though some might say this would be a built in "Brain" function  :whistling:

hahaha simply mistake. But fixed! thanks for pointing it out :)

yes, that's the 'standard' problem with a bushing. But i prefaced my preference of bushing with some rather stiff performance requirements. While superslippery won't necessarily get rid of all 'stiction', it will be drastically reduced relative to bushings not made of this super material I wish bushings were made of.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahaha simply mistake. But fixed! thanks for pointing it out :)

yes, that's the 'standard' problem with a bushing. But i prefaced my preference of bushing with some rather stiff performance requirements. While superslippery won't necessarily get rid of all 'stiction', it will be drastically reduced relative to bushings not made of this super material I wish bushings were made of.

Like a mag-lev bushing..... that would be great :)

Nearly all bicycle bearing failures are due to water or dirt entering the bearing. That's why for me the number of balls or limited rotation is not the issue but good quality seals are, which you will get with a good bearing brand such as SKF.

Incidently, one of the bearing sets removed was an angular contact bearing, a 7900. I could not find it from bearing suppliers and bought the Giant kit for a hefty R1200. In the kit there was no 7900 but a pair of 6900's, which is a normal deep groove ball bearing! Had I known that I could have procured it all for less than R500.

Also great information! Thanks Droo.

Would rollers then be better than balls as well?

Roller bearings cannot take axial (end) loading, which occurs on the pivots in bike's rear suspension. So ball bearings or angular contact bearings. Angular contact bearings can take end thrust from one direction only so normally have to work in opposing pairs on a shared axle/shaft if the pivot can be loaded axially from both sides.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have used "standard" bearings bought from a bearing shop from when I replaced the original set of bearings on my anthem and have never had any issues.

I very carefully remove the seals on both sides of the bearing and pack them full of YAMA LUBE grease and close them up again before installing.

I have made up bearing presses out of aluminium to push the bearing's in. Makes life a lot easier. Will post pictures later

• 4 months later...

Bearings International, all excl vat:

6802   - R14.21 KML

6900   - R10.54 KML

6902   - R15.59 KML

63800 - R75.00 NTN

Bearings International, all excl vat:

6802   - R14.21 KML

6900   - R10.54 KML

6902   - R15.59 KML

63800 - R75.00 NTN

is that per bearing? i assume

last time we got a quote from a local bearing place it was around R750 all in

which i still thought was a bit pricey

• 6 months later...

I am disgusted with the price of so-called "suspension service kits" from the bicycle manufacturers. These are just industrial bearings which are readily available, much cheaper and sometimes even of better quality. I thus post some bearing sizes here for anybody's perusal:

To replace all the bearings on a Giant Anthem Maestro suspension you need the following bearings:

U-Link chainstay pivot: ID=15mm OD=28mm width=7mm, bearing number 6902 (2 off required)

Lower shock eyelet: 15/24 w=5 bearing nr 6802 (4 off)

Rock arm frame pivot: 10/22 w=6 bearing nr 6900 (2 off)

Rock arm seat stay pivot: 10/19 w=7 bearing nr 63800 (2 off)

Make sure you get "sealed and lubricated" bearings, which is indicated by some letters after the number, depending on the bearing manufacturer. For example, a bearing from the manufacturer NSK will be denoted 6902DD.

I am disgusted with the price of so-called "suspension service kits" from the bicycle manufacturers. These are just industrial bearings which are readily available, much cheaper and sometimes even of better quality. I thus post some bearing sizes here for anybody's perusal:

To replace all the bearings on a Giant Anthem Maestro suspension you need the following bearings:

U-Link chainstay pivot: ID=15mm OD=28mm width=7mm, bearing number 6902 (2 off required)

Lower shock eyelet: 15/24 w=5 bearing nr 6802 (4 off)

Rock arm frame pivot: 10/22 w=6 bearing nr 6900 (2 off)

Rock arm seat stay pivot: 10/19 w=7 bearing nr 63800 (2 off)

Make sure you get "sealed and lubricated" bearings, which is indicated by some letters after the number, depending on the bearing manufacturer. For example, a bearing from the manufacturer NSK will be denoted 6902DD.

Will it be same p/n`s for a Giant Anthem X29er 

Archived