First sani2c

rickus grobled

I'm doing my first sani this year and would just like to ask a few questions. 1. I read, on the site, that one needs a first aid kit at hand. Do you need it during the race? I'm not keen on carring it around.

2. Is a gps a must for the race?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a look at the sani2c thread. Lots of info there.

With so many people on the trails it will be very hard to get lost but probably not impossible.

No

No

Read the rules... you do need some first aid things and a space blanket - but what exactly you need and what size it must be is not mentioned - never heard of it being enforced though - that said a wound dressing or two and a space blanket dont weigh much and could prove extremely useful - last years route 66 I stopped to help a crash victim on the rocks and wished for some wound packing - and the guy behind me stopped too and whipped some out his camelback - made life a lot easier - so thanks to those who do haul some around and share freely when needed.

Read the rules... you do need some first aid things and a space blanket - but what exactly you need and what size it must be is not mentioned - never heard of it being enforced though - that said a wound dressing or two and a space blanket dont weigh much and could prove extremely useful - last years route 66 I stopped to help a crash victim on the rocks and wished for some wound packing - and the guy behind me stopped too and whipped some out his camelback - made life a lot easier - so thanks to those who do haul some around and share freely when needed.

Sorry about everything

You don't need a GPS, but I would carry one.

I carry a space blanket, saw a guy wipe on day 2 once at the beginning and it was pretty chilly until he could be evacuated. He was wrapped in a foil blanket. So carry one between you and your teammate. It weighs virtually nothing.

I never thought about carrying dressings. I suppose you could put something lightweight together for an emergency.

Cut and paste from the rules:

OBLIGATORY EQUIPMENT
These items must be considered the bare minimum, and it is strongly recommended that riders ensure that they are fully prepared to deal with emergencies they may encounter. The following items must, however, be carried by the team during the race:

1. First Aid Kit – consisting of a minimum of:
    1. Foil survival blanket.
    2. First Aid Dressings x 3 (sizes 2, 3 and 4 recommended).
    3. Adhesive first aid plasters x 5.
    4. Sun-block with a minimum SPF factor of 15.
  2. Any riders on specific personal medications are responsible for supplying and carrying such medication.
  3. At least 3 litres liquid capacity per rider.
  4. Multi-tool or bike repair tools.
  5. Mobile telephone (South Africa uses Dual Band GSM 900/1800 - this is the same as in Europe). We do provide an area in the race village for you to charge your phone. Please keep your phone off to conserve battery life as we cannot guarantee to charge all phones and other items each day.

How do I carry the blanket and the kit? Not planning on getting a camelback or saddle bag.

How are you then going to carry your tubes,bombs,plugs,levers and that ?

Tubes and plugs ttied to bike. Rest of the few things go into my pockets. First aid kit is a completely different story.

Tubes and plugs ttied to bike. Rest of the few things go into my pockets. First aid kit is a completely different story.

Tape some stuff to the frame and the rest (first aid kit and tools) you split between yourself and your partner. Should be easy enough

How do you carry 3 litres of water without a camelback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so you are a race snake then ?

Archived