Hope Hubs - which Grease?

Rock Guy

While I was installing a new cassette onto my Hope Pro 2 Evo Hub I accidentally pulled the freebody off the hub. I wasn't expecting to pull it off so easily, I was really just making sure the cassette was fastened properly. 

Anyhow, this may well have been a good thing as it allowed me to see just how dirty things are getting inside the freebody. What presumably was grease at one point can now only be described as a muddy gunk. Not exactly the kind of stuff you want to "protect" the pawls and hub shell. 

I've checked out the video on Hope's website for overhauling the Pro 2 Evo hubs. I would love to swap out all the bearings and do the full service myself, but I don't have all the tools. So I thought I could at least clean and grease the Freebody myself. 

According to the Video, Hope use a grease called Mobil HXP 222. I can't seem to find this anywhere in SA though. So here's my question, which grease can you recommend I use?

I use a multi purpose grease.  Just keep away from the marine and wheel bearing greases as they tend to be very sticky and can stick a pawl down.  If you are going to clean regularly you can use a thick oil instead (gearbox 80wt).  I use this on the non metal seals before I close the hub up.  On the Hope be sure to get the freehub seal in tight onto the hub. It requires some pressure.  

Shimano make a really good freehub grease, sold in tiny containers too.  It's nowhere near as sticky as the Belray grease mentioned above (which is great everywhere else) so the pawls will spring out easily.  With a 'sticky' grease they can get stuck in the closed position.

FYI - the freebody on Hope hubs does just pop off; its not screwed in place. 

Shimano make a really good freehub grease, sold in tiny containers too.  It's nowhere near as sticky as the Belray grease mentioned above (which is great everywhere else) so the pawls will spring out easily.  With a 'sticky' grease they can get stuck in the closed position.

FYI - the freebody on Hope hubs does just pop off; its not screwed in place. 

I have been using the bell ray in my hope hubs for about 5 years - never had a stuck pawl - the stuff is not very sticky at all (unlike some real marine greases) - does better than most greases at surviveing solvents and stuff in multi day event wash bays that typically use pressure washers.

Still - Motorex make some good greases too - at a price - S2000 also works just fine.

If you regrease the pawls often, then instead of stripping them out to clean them, try using an air gun and compressor at about 8bar - just hold the freehub in a cloth to catch the blowoff grease, with a gentle finger on top of the pawl/spring to make sure the spring does not pop out  - then regrease and go - also works on the hub rachet side to get inside the corners - but you stil have to use a cloth to get it out, and avoid blowing dirt into the bearing seals.

Saves a few minutes work and looking for the inevitable dropped small part.

The Hope pawl springs are tougher than most greases.  That's why they are so loud.  Hubs like Zipp and DT Swiss, with the circular spring are the ones I use oil on.  I have seen Mavic pawls with the coil spring stick as well.

Cool, thanks for all the help and tips. Just comparing the prices, it looks like the Shimano special freehub grease is lank expensive. About R250 on CRC for 50g (exl. shipping etc), as opposed to R90 for about 450grams of the Belray stuff.

Sounds like you've have good success with the Belray grease V12man, I'll give it go.

Cool, thanks for all the help and tips. Just comparing the prices, it looks like the Shimano special freehub grease is lank expensive. About R250 on CRC for 50g (exl. shipping etc), as opposed to R90 for about 450grams of the Belray stuff.

Sounds like you've have good success with the Belray grease V12man, I'll give it go.

I have had good sucess with it in my hopes - BUT - I have no idea how it works with other freehubs - some of them definately require oil or very specific grease.

I have had good sucess with it in my hopes - BUT - I have no idea how it works with other freehubs - some of them definately require oil or very specific grease.

No problem, I'll be using it on my Hopes as well.

Basically the thinnest grease you can find. That Shimano lumo green stuff and Motorex 2000 are what I use, in order of preference.

• 9 months later...

Basically the thinnest grease you can find. That Shimano lumo green stuff and Motorex 2000 are what I use, in order of preference.

where does one purchase that Motorex 2000 ??