Shimano ultegra Di2

eccc whippet

So what i have i learnt about shimano ultegra di 2...selling price ...around R 24000 for the whole group set (CWC)

Going from a 3 x 8 speed cheapie group set which requires the lever to move half way across the handle bars to shift up or down...to simply touching a lever to shift up or down...nice to have.

would i buy it second hand certainly not (too expensive for a joe soap like me to replace)..."as i am told" just like certain bicycle frames...you have to be the original owner to claim under warranty.

How long is the warranty...ultegra 1 year (original owner)

If you are asked to send the item to Shimano, please include both:

a) A dated proof of purchase

b) ) A completed Consumer Warranty Claim Form

You go to one bike shop and they will tell you that you need a special code and training to use the software (a load of ^&*%$^&)

All you need is a charge cable SM-PCE1/SMDCR2 and E tube software a free download...if your bike comes with a seat post battery...you should get the cable required with the bike or groupset...no need to purchase a separate cable

Some bike shops will charge from around R 120 for a firmware upgrade...

The tricky part is when you have a problem...some bike shops will tell you that they can do diagnostic test on the components...that is what i was told...so i sent it in paid R 250 for the diagnostic test...firmware upgrades were done again and again...then the software did an upgrade and then tried to do another firmware upgrade...everything seemed to be ok...until i took the bike for a test ride.

same problem...as you touch the down shift lever...it sounds like there is a bad connection...it goes away and works fine for a while then starts making the noise again...(intermittent fault it seems) let me just add that it doesnt stop the gear shifting just makes a crackling sound...maybe this is normal ...i am sure someone will indicate if it is ....it is not the sound of the front auto adjusting...all the plug connection were checked...pulled out and reconnected.

I tell the mechanic maybe we should just leave it until it breaks then replace it.

Apparently you cannot buy just the micro switch you have to replace the entire lever.

I start thinking what happens if this switch packs up while out on a ride...if it is just the switch...so i decide to contact shimano and ask them if they have experienced this problem before...unfortunately due to high demand...shimano.com do not accept emails.

so i contact shimano sa...they indicate that they will get back to me...this morning i get a call from shimano indicating that they are sorting it out and will get back to me.

Now i am told that i have to meet with the rep and he will have to do " diagnostic tests" on each component because the etube free software cannot carry out individual component tests...if the rep cant find the problem...the parts will have to be removed and sent to jhb where they will be tested and if they are found to be faulty i will have to replace....it wil be interesting to find out the cost for 1 lever complete...considering the RRP is R 30 000 + for the whole group set.

My biggest concern is can i actually afford to keep replacing faulty components...do i unload the group set and down grade to 105 or ultegra mechanical.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird! Hope you get sorted

I think you added one extra zero to the RRP for the lever

ouch. Hope you get sorted. This is the problem with buying second hand expensive "electronic" items. There is always a big risk involved.

1 of the many reasons I stay away from second hand camera equipment, rather save until you can buy the item new or rather go for something else that falls in your budget.

You can expect to pay around R6k+ for the Di2 shifters locally. I was quoted R4400 last year after my crash for Ultegra mechanical shifters.

CRC don't list the Ultegra 10spd but they do have the Dura Ace 10spd which should work.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/shimano-dura-ace-di2-7970-2x10sp-sti-shifter-set/rp-prod34559

I think you better off getting a mechanical groupset if you are concerned about these things.

I had an electronic groupset, liked it and it worked well, but I prefer the mechanical.

It's simpler, cheaper to maintain, no software upgrades and the feeling of mechanical shifting is more enjoyable for me as a rider.

If you need to import, take a look at Merlin Cycles and Ribble Cycles, often cheaper than CRC

I spent many years bass fishing...if there was one thing i learnt about shimano fishing gear...you buy good quality top end fishing reels they last forever...i thrashed my calcutta Dc reels for years without ever having to service them...we talking 2 - 3 thousands cast a day hauling DD 22 through the water...never had a top end reel fail on me...when i sold them many years later...they still run like the day i bought them...the lower end stuff like the curado reels i ran the plastic gear within a couple months...so i upgraded...problem solved.

I thought the same with bicycle parts :(

I spent many years bass fishing...if there was one thing i learnt about shimano fishing gear...you buy good quality top end fishing reels they last forever...i thrashed my calcutta Dc reels for years without ever having to service them...we talking 2 - 3 thousands cast a day hauling DD 22 through the water...never had a top end reel fail on me...when i sold them many years later...they still run like the day i bought them...the lower end stuff like the curado reels i ran the plastic gear within a couple months...so i upgraded...problem solved.

I suppose ultegra is shimano's bottom of the range electronic groupset in this matter.

That's the crux.... bicycle parts should not need software upgrades or firmware upgrades, its a forkin bicycle and the bladdy gears were working in the beginning BEFORE any upgrades, nè?

I've got Di2 on my tri bike, been in for tuning once in the beginning +/- May 2014 and never had any upgrades since then....only time it gets connected is when i charge the battery.

Verks perfectly every time, just von click JA!!

The problems u having are the ****s wrt new tech, small little murphies and gremlins screwin around amongst the electrons very difficult for even tuned in mechanics to fix never mind ordinary folks 

Good luck

swissvan...when i purchased the bike ...the chain wouldnt go into the bottom gear...so i took it in for a minor adjustment...and that were "all" my problems started...............................

my simple brain tells me...it should be a simple process of elimination...the sound is coming from the front right lever...

check the connections...check

the noise is still coming from the lever...change the micro switch...and make sure all connections are pushed in properly...check 

if the noise is still there...replace the cable between the junction box and the lever...check 

if the noise is still there...send the rider for a mental evaluation...could be he is hearing gremlins running around with the electrons.

I will leave the "i hate shimano thread for friday" ;)

I must say i have been a shimano fan my whole life...till recently.

For the price of ultegradi2 one can buy dura ace mechanical. Only hassle with mechanical is the crappy cables. But it's much easier to live with crappy cables that need replacement every 6 months than electronic faults that play hide and seek

Do you have a recording of the sound?

Also, you can use a comma instead of "..." ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I will happily still too mechanical for a good few years still, the tech on electric is way to new for my liking; as with computers and cell phones. Sorting out gremlins and fine tuning only kickc in a few "generations" later.

There seems to be a business opertunity for an electrical engineer here though, if warranty lapse after 2 years. Pretty sure Shimano is not making electrical parts, circuits or switches in-house.

I wouldn't say its poor quality. Probably just bad luck that you ended up with 1 of the weak components. You always going to have this with mass produced items, not much you can really do.

If it is working properly and all you have is a strange sound then just ride it until it completely fails. It may last you another few years...

Archived