Houw Hoek 2016 - will you be there

BlackSnow

Hey fellow hubbers.

I just managed to pick up an entry for the HH tour. Who will be doing this one this year? I am super keen to see the trail of day 2. Will be my virgin quest on this trail :-)

Keen to see you all out there and meet some fellow hubbers.

You're going to have a blast!!

Well organised, lovely setting,  and a super lekker crowd, race snakes at the front followed by the rest ...

Day 1 has some super single tracks, with all the snakes awaiting (a bit intimidating to the novice I might say). 

Day 2 has a final climb that will make you walk, beg, pray or whatever. I love the climb, just go down to granny and spin it to the top where you may enjoy a toot!

One of the rides in the Western Cape I do not miss.

Cheers 

Doing my first one this year (and first stage race).  Have however ridden at Paul Cluver before and it is a really amazing track so looking forward to a great weekend.

But I do believe it will be quite different seeing as the weather expected is gonna be chilly

Edited by Knightct

So there is a weather warning for today and tomorrow, the route will very interesting by Saturday morning.  So except for a bit warmer clothing and packing in extra chain lube, any tips or hints to considered...

Hay Guys, doing my 4th or 5th.. its a great relaxed feel to this event as its a great introduction to stage riding. Some very exciting sections to ride. The first one I did was *** Cold. I started wrapped up and warm. 10 minutes in i was shoving extra cloths all over the place, so think about what the weather is doing for the next few hours of riding. I personally feel the trails will be FABULOUS. Should be nice and sticky after some rains, with the occasional patch of mud. As always, take what you need to feed your face, The water tables are stocked but always take what you need incase you get stranded :-) Then there is your on trail repair stuff. Yet again, they have sweeps looking after people but if you want to get your ass moving asap, then have your goods with you. It is a fabulous event so go with a fun attitude. Plenty of nice people out there and a fantastic crew running it :-) 

According to WindGuru there will be cloud cover till saturday midday. So ja Grabouw gets cold in the mornings. I used to play kaalvoet rugby there when in school there in the winter on grass that still had "ryp" on from the night before.

But my engine gets warmed up quite fast and then i dont want too many extra layers covering me. So this weather is actually perfect for me, cold but no rain. Saturday a max of 16 and sunday 18.

Oak Valley can be muddy if it seen alot of rain in the winter. But the ground should be quite dry after our droughts so it wont be that bad, i hope.

And remember its not a race, even though you get a few riders that starts at the back and then get Peed off when they get stuck behind slower people on the single track. Remember to have fun, help your fellow rider out if they get a technical and smile and greet all the awesome people working as marshalls or handing a cup of coke to you at the water point.

Edited by lerouc

I'll be there again this year for my third.  Going to have to take is easy as the change of season is playing havoc with my chest.  On Cortisone tablets now so hopefully they will settle it by the weekend.  Good thing they don't test the back makers for banned substances ;-)

Love this event as the atmosphere is so chilled.  Be prepared for traffic on the single track on day 1.  There are some sections where they split the route so the more advanced riders can have some extra fun :-)

Day 2 is just awesome.  I love the route.

This will be my 3rd Houw Hoek, always a great vibe out there and we have a crew of 4 of us doing it this year. Testament to how great this is that we are coming back for a 3rd time! Looking forward to some good banter out on the trails and even more to a couple of cold ones out on the lawn in front of the Inn on Saturday afternoon.

Hay Guys, doing my 4th or 5th.. its a great relaxed feel to this event as its a great introduction to stage riding. Some very exciting sections to ride. The first one I did was *** Cold. I started wrapped up and warm. 10 minutes in i was shoving extra cloths all over the place, so think about what the weather is doing for the next few hours of riding. I personally feel the trails will be FABULOUS. Should be nice and sticky after some rains, with the occasional patch of mud. As always, take what you need to feed your face, The water tables are stocked but always take what you need incase you get stranded :-) Then there is your on trail repair stuff. Yet again, they have sweeps looking after people but if you want to get your ass moving asap, then have your goods with you. It is a fabulous event so go with a fun attitude. Plenty of nice people out there and a fantastic crew running it :-)

Keen for a beer and catch up afterwards T-Bag :-)

We're three couples doing it. Staying at Houw Hoek Inn.

5 riders will be fine - all fit and getting it in as a final prep for Sani.

Me? Seriously unfit and carrying an injury. Riding for the fun of it. Hopefully my knee lasts two days.

Will be our first one (although all done W2W before).

Either see you at the rear, or keep the beers cold. 

Keen for a beer and catch up afterwards T-Bag :-)

Sounds like a good plan Cookie :-) Im like FlyMango, coming back from knee prob's. so not sure if at the back or at the back..hahhahaha 

lets hook up Cookie, will keep an eye out for you :-) we are normally the ones getting pished on the steps :-)

So got a time within my prediction, what a day of mtb-ing, So happy about the weather, kept all the dust away even if it did make some of the spots a bit soggy

See you guys tomorrow for stage 2