Do i need to change spokes when building over from arch ex to flow ex?

BaGearA

Hi guys 

Just a Quick question , my arch ex's have been flawless so far but are getting run down

I use 3.30 hubs and would just like to know if i can build over to Flow ex's ?

Is the rim profile different other than being wider??

Thanks

The old spokes will work. But most people would advise getting new spokes. They experience metal fatigue over time. If you're going through all the trouble of a new rim you should replace the spokes.

Just make sure that the rims you get have the same amount of holes as the hubs you have.

Also ,I would recomend new spokes and niples for building the new rims.

Other than the width and maybe material strength,there should be no other differances between the rims.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

RiverInTheRoad is right.  ERD of the Flow is 603 and the Arch 607.  As the Flow needs a spoke shorter than the Arch you might be able to use a special nipple like the Pillar DSN to take up the extra length.  If in any doubt about the spokes rather replace because after the expense of the rim, nipples and labour you don't want problems later.

Replace spokes and nipples. A wheel build is not cheap, just do it right the first time.

Would the same apply for re-building with new hubs. I current love the rims I'm using but the Hubs (Deora) are shot to hell. Was thinking about getting Novatech! 

Spoke length depends on the hub flange (spoke hole circle) diameter as well as the rim ERD (effective rim diameter, or the diameter of the circle where the nipples sit in the rim bed).

Spokes that are too long will damage the nipple as they're threaded too deeply into the nipple, past the thread area, as well as making it difficult to achieve proper spoke tension.

Spokes that are too short will have insufficient thread inside the nipple and may rip loose when in use.

As stated above, it's always advisable to use new spokes and nipples when rebuilding a wheel that's had any significant use.

Archived