Giant Dropper Cable Shortening

AlanD

Hi All,

Just fitted my giant dropper amd cable super long.

How do i shorten it? Assume its by the saddle side but no sure how to go about it.

Please help. Thanks

Shorten the housing to the correct length first, then route it and put the cable in the correct position and cut the cable once it's in the remote and secured. Easiest that way

Ok but at the remote side there is a differen potion of cable, like a flexible piece.

Eish, need to then get some cable cutters...dam

Shorten the housing to the correct length first, then route it and put the cable in the correct position and cut the cable once it's in the remote and secured. Easiest that way

Exactly like this ^    ....yes just shorten it and take in account the flexible housing part :)

Ok but at the remote side there is a differen potion of cable, like a flexible piece.

Eish, need to then get some cable cutters...dam

When you release the cable from the remote side you will see that piece of flex cable with the tensioning screw thingy just slides off. You pull the cable back first so you can cut the housing first without cutting the cable, push the cable through again and just slide the flex cable with the tensioner back on, thread the cable through the switch and then cut it.

I know it's not ideal but I didn't have cable cutters and really wanted to get my dropper up and running so I used a set of pliers to cut the housing and then the cable. That housing is strong though so I used a water pump pliers to get leverage on my regular pliers to cut it.

Tjeres the remote, them flexible housing, the barrel asjuster and then normal cabling. Do i cut this normal cabling adter the barrel adjuster?

Tjeres the remote, them flexible housing, the barrel asjuster and then normal cabling. Do i cut this normal cabling adter the barrel adjuster?

Yeah, the barrel adjuster ( that's the word I was looking for)is connected to the flex cable and is a separate entity to the regular cable housing. As soon as you loosen the internal cable from the switch you will see that it just slides off. Then you cut the regular cable housing

Yeah, the barrel adjuster ( that's the word I was looking for)is connected to the flex cable and is a separate entity to the regular cable housing. As soon as you loosen the internal cable from the switch you will see that it just slides off. Then you cut the regular cable housing

Ok cool. Got it, thanks. So did the prliers work ok as i dont have cable cutters either. I have those wire cutter pliers

They worked fine for me especially on the inner cable, as long as they not dented on the cutting section. Like I said, the cable housing was super strong so it was tough to cut through and I couldn't get it with just the pliers. The water pump pliers clamping down on the handles of the regular pliers gave me enough leverage to make it through though

Please note that the above worked for me but is probably not the experts reccomended route to take. Cable cutters will work best.

Been running mine for around 3 months since installing and no problems whatsoever. But thought I should probably throw in a disclaimer of sorts.

I have the cable out from the remote and taken iff barrel adjuster.

Now i have the cable extending out the regular housing and ready to cut. This may seem like a daft question, but whats the best way to cut the housing without cutting through to the cable?

I have the cable out from the remote and taken iff barrel adjuster.

Now i have the cable extending out the regular housing and ready to cut. This may seem like a daft question, but whats the best way to cut the housing without cutting through to the cable?

remove the cable from the housing... 

Yes, i thought that although i was wondering if there was another way other than disconnecting from the seat side and removing...guess i was being to hopeful..lol

I pulled the seat post out of the frame while holding onto the cable housing. Move the seatpost the same amount as what you want to shorten the cable with. Cut the housing with a cable cutter and then push the seatpost back in, grab a bit off the cable that will pop out and then pull that while pushing the seatpost down to ensure that the cable housing enters the stopper on the seatpost again. And then when all is reassembled just cut off the end of the cable and crimp an end cap onto the cable.

Yes, i thought that although i was wondering if there was another way other than disconnecting from the seat side and removing...guess i was being to hopeful..lol

Also not ideal but I used an angle grinder with 1mm cutting disc, sliced through no problem with a clean-ish cut. For the outer.

Archived