Help buying a MTB...(budget: R40k)

Npatricio

Hi,

I just moved into SA recently and despite doing road biking for the last 2Y, now I find myself more tempted to move to MTB (The roads here seem a bit dangerous better to go on weekends to some trails)

To give you some context... I ride just because I enjoy and it's a way to keep fit, I have no plans to compete, still like to beat myself and the adrenalin of speed, but the reality is that I am a very basic rider and will be looking for XC mainly.

I'm planning to sell my Trek Emonda S5 (2015), and buy a full suspension MTB (read many posts on the forum and my mind is made), my budget is around R30000.

My options:

1. Spez camber comp 29 (R34k)

2. Spez camber 29 (R26K)

3. Trek Fuel 8 (R???)

4. Merida ninety six 9.600, 9.800 or even the XT (R45.000 in cyclelab)

5. Spez Epic Comp 29 (R40K)

Btw, I am 1,85m tall and the guys in a store were trying to sell me a Spez camber comp carbon XL , the info I found is that I should be looking for an L size, can you guys confirm it?

I also need to consider the option of the 2nd value, in case I want to sell it in a few years time.

Really appreciate your opinions!

Thanks

Edited by Npatricio

I'm 1.84 and went for a Large Camber Comp 29. Was a bit worried that I should ride an XL but the L is perfect. Perhaps they are trying to sell you an XL because there is no stock of L's....which is the current situation.

I'm 1.84 and went for a Large Camber Comp 29. Was a bit worried that I should ride an XL but the L is perfect. Perhaps they are trying to sell you an XL because there is no stock of L's....which is the current situation.

exactly!!!

Are you happy with your bike?

I considered most dual suspensions in the R35k range (including the Anthem) but I'm glad I chose the Camber Comp. I was going to buy a XC bike (like the Epic and Merida in your shortlist) but the Camber is a nice all round trail bike which still climbs well ie loads more fun...

I considered most dual suspensions in the R35k range (including the Anthem) but I'm glad I chose the Camber Comp. I was going to buy a XC bike (like the Epic and Merida in your shortlist) but the Camber is a nice all round trail bike which still climbs well ie loads more fun...

Yes, that would be my number 1 choice, the problem is that it seems to be out of stock, at least I couldn't find a Camber Comp 29, size L, in Sandton stores. where did you bought yours?

I have an epic comp as I got it on a very good deal. I love it, but I still would have preferred the camber. Next time.

Yes, that would be my number 1 choice, the problem is that it seems to be out of stock, at least I couldn't find a Camber Comp 29, size L, in Sandton stores. where did you bought yours?

Bought Melrose Arch's last one.  Centurion Cyclery still had one on Friday...

As for your options, I'd be between the trek and the camber comp. Sticking another bike in there I'd suggest the anthem sx (120mm fork) and a rocky mountain thunderbolt.

Bikes don't really keep their value, you looking at halving your investment once you walk out the door, just something to keep in mind. Which also makes the case for looking at used deals.

No, not a waste of money at all, as it's an amazing bike. But, considering the carbon runs the same wheelset, fork and shock, the extra R20k gets you the following "improvements" over the alloy version: dropper post (only a benefit on more serious trail riding), lighter frame with SWAT-box (freaken awesome), 1x11 drivetrain (slightly less range than 2x10 setup on alloy Comp) and better brakes (the Deore's on Comp work fine).

So the choice is yours. I have a 2016 Camber Comp that I love to bits, it's a lot of bike for R34k. I have also tried the S-Works Camber and trust me, you will not feel short changed if you buy the alloy.

Happy shopping !

No, not a waste of money at all, as it's an amazing bike. But, considering the carbon runs the same wheelset, fork and shock, the extra R20k gets you the following "improvements" over the alloy version: dropper post (only a benefit on more serious trail riding), lighter frame with SWAT-box (freaken awesome), 1x11 drivetrain (slightly less range than 2x10 setup on alloy Comp) and better brakes (the Deore's on Comp work fine).

So the choice is yours. I have a 2016 Camber Comp that I love to bits, it's a lot of bike for R34k. I have also tried the S-Works Camber and trust me, you will not feel short changed if you buy the alloy.

Happy shopping !

I've tried to buy the carbon version, but couldn't find any in large size... Just XL... and to invest that amount of money, everything has to be perfect... So I'm getting a camber comp 29, that I found through "spock" tip!

Bought Melrose Arch's last one.  Centurion Cyclery still had one on Friday...

I spoke to Centurion today and will be passing to pick the bike tomorrow!

Precious tip from you, seems that this model and the carbon are really hard to find, true best sellers! Thanks for the help.