[Event] Tour Of Ara 2016

Stan Engelbrecht

Event Name: Tour Of Ara 2016
When: 15 October 2016 - 20 October 2016
Where: Vanrhynsdorp - Prince Albert, Western Cape
Category: Road

The Tour of Ara is a very tough 800km all-gravel 6-day stage race, ridden exclusively on vintage steel road racing bicycles, and only open to 40 racers.

With the beautiful but harsh semi-desert Karoo as a backdrop, racers are pitted against each other, the elements, and themselves. Riding an old skinny-tyred road bikes over sharp rocks, relentless corrugations and through thick sand for 6 days is not for everyone, but those who dare are rewarded with breathtaking vistas, swift camaraderie and a sense of unmatched achievement.

After lengthy days of being bounced around in the saddle and fighting your handlebars for control, there is also the fantastic food and wine to look forward to — always sourced locally, and prepared by the communities the Tour passes through.

This ensures that the Tour of Ara isn’t only about racing headlong to the horizon, but also to experience the history and culture of the small communities travelled through.

Go to Event Page

hubevents-24615-0-86630700-1463819465_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Updates Stan!? And a photo or two? Who's leading? 

How about posting a daily bulletin up to the end of the week?

Saturday's stage must have been brutal - DC on gravel, on your own, as the first stage of 6...

Rooting for Nils!

Edited by nomoregravity

Saturday's stage must have been brutal - DC on gravel, on your own, as the first stage of 6...

Rooting for Nils!

he got 2nd place yesterday and today.

• 2 weeks later...

Rooting for Nils!

Hi nomoregravity. Sorry man, best to follow the (post) race images by following @tourofara on Instagram, find it on Facebook, or visit the official Tour of Ara tumblr site here - http://tourofara.tumblr.com There are just too many channels to manage if I have to post here too. I hope you understand. Stan.

Hi nomoregravity. Sorry man, best to follow the (post) race images by following @tourofara on Instagram, find it on Facebook, or visit the official Tour of Ara tumblr site here - http://tourofara.tumblr.com There are just too many channels to manage if I have to post here too. I hope you understand. Stan.

Fantastic pictures Stan, love the black & white! Lots of places I know well in those pictures!