Advice Needed/ Sought: Frame/ Component Issue

AryM

are the front and back calipers the same? its almost like they are different and a front brake was fitted to the rear?

That was my first thought as well.

But it is a carbon frame, and they come out of the mold like that. So there must be a lot of faulty propels out there then.

I think the wrong brake calipers are fitted originally, they don't look like the giant oem calipers. That's why I don't get how the lbs and giant rep took so long to fix it. Unless I am barking up the wrong tree (entirely possible.)

That's my feeling as well...

That is not the correct Caliper for your year model frame. The newer brake as in the last pic is the correct brakes, they fitted older model brakes onto newer model frame

that make sense.

did the OP buy a frameset or a complete bike?

Maybe a 2014 build kit and 2015 frame and the shop failed to realise the brakes are not compatible?

That was my first thought as well.

But it is a carbon frame, and they come out of the mold like that. So there must be a lot of faulty propels out there then.

I think the wrong brake calipers are fitted originally, they don't look like the giant oem calipers. That's why I don't get how the lbs and giant rep took so long to fix it. Unless I am barking up the wrong tree (entirely possible.)

You are correct Philip, it was clear that there is a factory frame issue with the brake/ hole fitment on the frame. Giant was adamant that it is not a possibility. Hence, they kept on sending me the components but didn't want to hear anything about the frame as they did not have 1 issue like this around the world.

We tried 2 new brake calipers sets, also took them off some new Propels, but the same issue crept up in no time.

you (OP) have the patience of a saint !

I would have thrown my toys out about the second time it wasn't right

and started screaming consumer protection act, defective product, refund

etc

hope you come right

Yeah, hard life lesson learnt, being nice doesn't help anymore!

Thanks man!

:thumbdown:

that make sense.

did the OP buy a frameset or a complete bike?

Maybe a 2014 build kit and 2015 frame and the shop failed to realise the brakes are not compatible?

Complete Bike from the cycle shop!

Here you go, Ary. Seems as if it's an issue with the Contis and some other tyres having too high a profile for the bike. From the thread, Schwalbe ONE tyres seem to have a lot more clearance.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/giant/2015-giant-propel-advanced-tire-issue-345454.html#post4822486

Thanks Myles.

My issue was with the standard Giant tyres that came with the bike as well. Conti's are much worse.

Most road bikes come with 25mm now. This is a problem for the 2014/2015 Propel frames.

For interest sake, please measure the distance from the axle to the brake holes and compare it with another propel. If this distance is too small on your frame, no amount of different calipers will fix it.

Here you go, Ary. Seems as if it's an issue with the Contis and some other tyres having too high a profile for the bike. From the thread, Schwalbe ONE tyres seem to have a lot more clearance.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/giant/2015-giant-propel-advanced-tire-issue-345454.html#post4822486

I ran my propel with Zipp 303 Firecrest wheels with conti gatorskin 22mm front and 25mm back and never had this problem.

Archived