Advice Needed/ Sought: Frame/ Component Issue

AryM

Hey Hubbers,

I purchased my Giant Propel Advanced 0 ML frame in late 2014, they gave me a 2015 frame as I was close to year end. I was absolutely smitten obviously, it was a stunning looking bike & it rode awesome too. After 5/6 rides, I noticed my rear brake cable starting to unwind & break. A few more rides and it would've snapped. I went to my workshop where i purchased the bike from, and they replaced the cable with no issues. I thought the issue was maybe brakes being worn in or cable tightness etc. After a few more rides, the same issue crept up. The rear braking mechanism was too close to the wheel and any slight bump on the surface would really rub against the wheel. Within a few more rides, the same issue always kept on re-surfacing.

New brake components were ordered & fitted after a long & trying explanation of the issue. A friend also bought the same frame & it was clear that my rear braking component was much lower than his with hardly any clearance between cable & tyre. Its even worse when I fit my racing wheels as they are 25mm. Then the issue flares up up quicker & shreds within a ride or 2.

January to April is racing season, so, I hardly had time to leave the bike as they need at least a week for the Giant rep to come test and so forth. So, I just carried on, replacing cable after cable & tyre after tyre. I know, but pre-paid race entries cost a tad & didn't want to miss out. That was my 2015 year in a nutshell.

After numerous attempts from Giant, they tried a new component early 2016, it appeared to be better but the issue started again. I finally left  the bike with my shop & they got the Giant rep to come look at the frame. He agreed that this was an issue and frame was sent to Giant HQ in SA (Cape Town).

Got a call from the manager, he said that a 2016 brake component will now fix the problem up 100%. Says it is now correct now & I will have no more issues... Why would a 2016 component make my bike right now? Why wasn't this fixed in 2015 when this issue was on-going?

To be frank, I've had just about enough with the frame & problem. This was done & tested and it seems like I'm back to square one. This is my 3rd week without the bike and this is the answer I get. I've replaced the cable over 20 times, I've replaced the rear tyres about 7 times already. They changed components twice and I feel this is completely Unprofessional. These bikes are not cheap and I feel I've been more than patient. I want a new frame or my money back!

Advice? Please?

My rear Braking component:

http://s33.postimg.org/4p60m8mlr/2015_11_16_PHOTO_00000047.jpg

Normal Braking on the Propel Clearance:

http://s33.postimg.org/exb7alca7/Propel_Brakes.jpg

A photo would do your cause a lot of good me thinks ...

Sorry bud,

Updated

How is the tention on your brake housing?

Looks like the housing might be too long?

How is the tention on your brake housing?

Looks like the housing might be too long?

Tension, brake housing all 100%

No issues there.

Tried many different  settings etc but issue kept on coming back.

It was clear that the holes in my frame was too low for all the braking components, hence the issue of little or no clearance...

It seems they have a longer brake component now in 2016 but after almost 18 months of nagging issues, I've had enough. I got no value for the money & time spent. As you can see from the pic, I've been more than patient.

The brakes from your photo is different to that of the normal photo.  It seems to me you have the wrong brakes on that frame.

I don't get how your bike shop couldn't figure it out?

You need longer brake calipers.

I'd wait until the bike comes back with the new calipers and see if it is working now before rocking the boat. If the fitted 2016 units have longer arms than your current brakes, then you will not have the clearance issue anymore.

I'd wait until the bike comes back with the new calipers and see if it is working now before rocking the boat. If the fitted 2016 units have longer arms than your current brakes, then you will not have the clearance issue anymore.

Agreed. See what the new brakes are doing. If still does the same then you can start rocking the boat. If you don't get any joy try their HQ.

Agreed. See what the new brakes are doing. If still does the same then you can start rocking the boat. If you don't get any joy try their HQ.

Seems like the cable is keeping the tyre nice and clean for some fresh grippy stuff in the corners...a self skimming patent looming... :whistling:

As I see it the problem is not the caliper or actual brake components, but the mounting position of these components. You said your buddy also bought the same frame - have you tried comparing the caliper mounting positions of the 2 bikes? If the actual mounting lug is too low, no amount of alternating parts will resolve it. And should this be the case (lower/moved/out of place mounting lug) Giant should man up and provide you with a new frame.

I hope you get it sorted soon!

Seems like the cable is keeping the tyre nice and clean for some fresh grippy stuff in the corners...a self skimming patent looming... :whistling:

As I see it the problem is not the caliper or actual brake components, but the mounting position of these components. You said your buddy also bought the same frame - have you tried comparing the caliper mounting positions of the 2 bikes? If the actual mounting lug is too low, no amount of alternating parts will resolve it. And should this be the case (lower/moved/out of place mounting lug) Giant should man up and provide you with a new frame.

I hope you get it sorted soon!

That was my first thought as well.

But it is a carbon frame, and they come out of the mold like that. So there must be a lot of faulty propels out there then.

I think the wrong brake calipers are fitted originally, they don't look like the giant oem calipers. That's why I don't get how the lbs and giant rep took so long to fix it. Unless I am barking up the wrong tree (entirely possible.)

you (OP) have the patience of a saint !

I would have thrown my toys out about the second time it wasn't right

and started screaming consumer protection act, defective product, refund

etc

hope you come right

That is not the correct Caliper for your year model frame. The newer brake as in the last pic is the correct brakes, they fitted older model brakes onto newer model frame.

Correction, Google brings up lots of complaint dated 2014 and 2015

Archived