How essential is a power meter on a MTB?

JJ

hhahahahaha... 'essential'...

A chain is essential, brakes for most of us. Pedals, wheels and tires with a semi working headset and handlebars.

This gadget to avg amateur cyclist obsession is getting ridiculous.

But if you want it, buy it. It seems you have already bitten and are now unsure whether to plunge or keep wondering. 

Asking whether it is a rad gadget to further complicate your cycling with simple workouts and enabling you to use more buzzwords on your instagram feed is not 'essential'..... 

I think it would help if you were aiming to make it back to the top of the sport, rode 7 days a week and had dialled in all the other aspects of your training like diet, recovery, focus, sacrifice and a good mental space, then it would be worth it. Otherwise spend the 10 or 20 grand on one of the above. Or your missus or your family...

AH-HA see now this type of thinking is exactly what my post above is about...you say spend the money on the missus and the family...but if you are spending 12+hrs a week training (I know a lot of people who do) and 40hrs a week working then sooner or later the missus and kids are gonna leave your ass because you're spending more time riding your bike than her :eek:  :whistling: ...

Now if you can get the same results riding for 6-8 hrs a week (because you can monitor and utilize the time in the saddle to better effect) then your missus won't leave you...I know of at least 3 people who have been divorced in recent years due to the amount of riding they have HAD to do to finish Epic...

hhahahahaha... 'essential'...

A chain is essential, brakes for most of us. Pedals, wheels and tires with a semi working headset and handlebars.

This gadget to avg amateur cyclist obsession is getting ridiculous.

But if you want it, buy it. It seems you have already bitten and are now unsure whether to plunge or keep wondering. 

Asking whether it is a rad gadget to further complicate your cycling with simple workouts and enabling you to use more buzzwords on your instagram feed is not 'essential'..... 

I think it would help if you were aiming to make it back to the top of the sport, rode 7 days a week and had dialled in all the other aspects of your training like diet, recovery, focus, sacrifice and a good mental space, then it would be worth it. Otherwise spend the 10 or 20 grand on one of the above. Or your missus or your family...

I must be honest, I've been waiting for a post like this. What my essential is and yours could be way different. I needed power to see my effort. To see how it increases and decreases, to have a goal of getting x amount of power increase or FTP increase in set amount of weeks, or during a race knowing how far I can push and when to back off. Things like that motivate me to ride and race to improve myself. So yes power is essential for me. No need to laugh at it. No need for me to laugh at guys who dislike brakes on their bikes. I admire them for that.

Maybey see it in that light before making a comment like that.

Hi guys

Would love your opinions on this. How important is a power meter for mtb racing/training? I used to race and train way more road, with a power meter but I moved over to 100% mtb.

Do you guys think its necessary to get power meter for the mtb as well?

Much appreciated.

I don't think it's very useful when used off road.

Firstly the amount of smoothing you need to apply to the data means that you can probably use HR more effectively.

Secondly the nature of mtb means I would question the consistency of the data I'm getting.

With this considered I'm thinking a power calculating bike computer would be enough to implement power raining methods.

There's no real difference between power training methods and hr training methods anyway. The big difference is the lag of hr increase in relation to when the effort is applied.

For this reason I find that when I need to train for specific zone performance its best achieved in a controlled environment like an it or on a road bike.

I must be honest, I've been waiting for a post like this. What my essential is and yours could be way different. I needed power to see my effort. To see how it increases and decreases, to have a goal of getting x amount of power increase or FTP increase in set amount of weeks, or during a race knowing how far I can push and when to back off. Things like that motivate me to ride and race to improve myself. So yes power is essential for me. No need to laugh at it. No need for me to laugh at guys who dislike brakes on their bikes. I admire them for that.

Maybey see it in that light before making a comment like that.

Yip

Some peeps don't measure their efforts as closely as others

Maybe because they have far less serious and focused performance goals

I get your requirement

Racing as optimally as possible to stay in the top 10% of all finishers is really aided by the use of a power meter

Archived