ZIPP 404 front hub "explosion"

GWilson

Had a warranty claim rejected by Cape Cycle Systems for this ZIPP hub that "exploded". Fortunately it wasn't during a ride. Reason for the rejection is that this is an "old" model. ZIPP USA backed the decision without seeing the wheel. I searched to see if there were similar cases; seems there are a number and noted that this has resulted in recalls of certain models. The wheels have not been used a lot, mostly for races only. This shouldn't happen to any hub irrespective of age, brand or price. Going to take it to a Metallurgist to have a look at it for me. (see attached pic)

I would buy something like a white industry t11, ultegra, dura ace front hub and have the wheel rebuild

How old is it and how long do you expect them to support a warranty for? 

Just buy a nice new hub and rebuild it - if it's outside of the warranty then you're probably not going to win.

looks like the spoke pulled through ...

was the spoke on the opposite side loose - or at less tension ?

That can result in tiny jack hammer per wheel revolution ...

so when the loose spoke at the bottom, the top spoke will pull down by the difference in tension ... and that can happen thousands of times during a ride ...

See pic

Crazy if that happened when not in use?? It's very clean though...you sure it wasn't the cleaning lady..........

wasnt during a ride :eek:  :eek: did it just go poof????standing in the garage?

how old is the hub?

Jip, just went "poof" :) roughly 7-8 years old. Dimpled 404 wheelset. Google for similar examples.

I would buy something like a white industry t11, ultegra, dura ace front hub and have the wheel rebuild

Noted thanks

Jip, just went "poof" :) roughly 7-8 years old. Dimpled 404 wheelset. Google for similar examples.

7-8 years send them a bottle of bells say thanks for a great product :)

How old is it and how long do you expect them to support a warranty for? 

Just buy a nice new hub and rebuild it - if it's outside of the warranty then you're probably not going to win.

Wouldn't want to see this happening to any hub. A number of the ZIPP hubs were recalled because of this problem. Mine "exploded" in exactly the same way but apparently not part of the models that were recalled. Thanks for the advice to rebuild.

looks like the spoke pulled through ...

was the spoke on the opposite side loose - or at less tension ?

That can result in tiny jack hammer per wheel revolution ...

so when the loose spoke at the bottom, the top spoke will pull down by the difference in tension ... and that can happen thousands of times during a ride ...

Nope, wheel was in perfect shape, nothing loose or bent. Read the ZIPP US narrative explaining the purpose of the recall and the technical jargon leading to the failure of the hub :)

Crazy if that happened when not in use?? It's very clean though...you sure it wasn't the cleaning lady..........

The rest of the wheelset is in perfect condition. No cleaning lady involved :) Search the web and ZIPP website for detail of the recall. 

Archived