Karkloof:- accommodation and trail advice for a weekend

L.T.G

sjoe!!! didn't realize I'd be spoiled for choice going down.

Pretty much it was a case of it being Karkloof as the main stomping ground then try find other trails.... looks like I'm going be pressed for time trying to get them all in  ^_^

Chainsaw and Griffin, what'd you recommend we do to get the most out of being there?

We'll be (hopefully) leaving rather early on Friday, so should have 3 to 4 hours to ride once there,

then our main riding day will be Saturday ( I was thinking this would all be spent  at Karkloof, but it's starting to seem like Karkloof is almost the opening act and not the main show ^_^ )

Then Sunday a short ride... and hour maybe 2 with a push, but we'll need to get back rather early 

We'll probably be staying somewhere within 15kms +/- out of Howick

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need a week to ride all the available trails around Howick! Howick, Karkloof, St Ives, Hilton/Cedara, Cascades... Now I miss living there!  :(

Pretty much it was a case of it being Karkloof as the main stomping ground then try find other trails.... looks like I'm going be pressed for time trying to get them all in  ^_^

Chainsaw and Griffin, what'd you recommend we do to get the most out of being there?

We'll be (hopefully) leaving rather early on Friday, so should have 3 to 4 hours to ride once there,

then our main riding day will be Saturday ( I was thinking this would all be spent  at Karkloof, but it's starting to seem like Karkloof is almost the opening act and not the main show ^_^ )

Then Sunday a short ride... and hour maybe 2 with a push, but we'll need to get back rather early 

Not much time if you want to do it all. remember it is very hilly so 3 hours doesnt give you much distance. Eg. the Karkloof 30k route could take you 3 hours alone.

I would do Friday 3/4 hours Howick single track

Saturday Karkloof 60k Outback trail

Sunday Howick to karkloof and back again ( I described earlier in the thread.)

PM me if you like I could show you around if I'm available that weekend. 

Not much time if you want to do it all. remember it is very hilly so 3 hours doesnt give you much distance. Eg. the Karkloof 30k route could take you 3 hours alone.

Lucky bastards  :blush:

Lucky bastards  :blush:

About time you came back for round 2

Karkloof Outback Trail? Do I hook it at the Club? Easily marked?

Karkloof Outback Trail? Do I hook it at the Club? Easily marked?

Yes the Outback is Karkloofs 60k route. Follow the Outback trail sign boards. Just check carefully because the first 4km are shared and so dont miss the turn off to Outback trails. Take enough water if its hot as there is no water  out there. Some big climbs if you not used to them so be prepared with some nutrition as well.

Great thanks, will I find "Bat out of Hell" on that route?

YES

Plus a gentle hill or 2  :devil:

Most start at Greendale shopping centre.ample parking and coffee shop for end of ride. It is the spar centre on the right as you come into howick. Alternative is karkloof farmers market (not to be confused with karkloof club)

But there's no coffee shop. If you staying at 11karkloof I would ride from there. It's next to "middle road" which is a main point of entry to most howick trails.

100%.. just remember that there is no day licence/indemnity available at Karkloof farmers market so make sure you get one before departing from there

The Howick Trails are awesome and you can keep yourself busy for more than just a weekend. Love it so much we recently became members of The Howick MTB Club. Going down for this weekend (fuel permitting) and cannot wait to get on the Trails again.

We stay in Kwavula so we enter the Trails up 6 Beer Hill.... :thumbup:

Question: Can I do the Karkloof Trails as a Howick member or do I need a separate pass?

Like Chainsaw says.. your ANNUAL Howick membership entitles you to both Howick and Karkloof  trail networks under 1 licence. Big Wheel has closed down and I am not 100% sure if St Ives is still onboard

The reason I say ANNUAL is the the reciprocity between the trail networks is only applicable if you have a annual licence (ie paid up and current Howick MTB Club or Karkloof MTB Club member)

Day licences only cover the area you bought it for so day licence riders need a separate day licence for each area 

Don't forget about Hilton (only a few km from Howick). Has some really nice trails there too, and on the other side of the highway (the Grace College side). Lots of berms and cool things built there recently

Hilton has some awesome trails.. both opposite Cowan House and Grace College. I did hear this week that there is some talk about the areas being closed to riding after the unfortunate death of a motorbike rider in the forests recently. 

Might be best to check with someone in the know before riding there

Difficult question to answer without knowing fitness and skill level.. last thing I want to do its send you down The Face.. and then visit you in hospital lol

Have a look at http://www.howickmountainbiking.co.za/index.php/gpx-maps/category/5-howick-classic-race-routes. The routes are downloadable and you can then open them in Google Earth to have a better idea of where they go

When looking at the maps everything on the right hand side of the Curries Post road is open and cleared (we had some hectic winds yesterday so there may be some biggish twigs around). Everything to the left of the Curries Post rd is also open but harvesting was taking place here so the trails are less clear

As a sidenote ..

Puffadder Pass and No Balls are scheduled to be cleared next week.. so if you going that way excuse any trail debris. Last 2 weeks or so have been dedicated to bridge repair

Archived