Using a 2x chainguide on a 1x setup

Grease_Monkey

On my stumpy with the kalbo chairing and normal sram x9 rear derailleur, I haven't had a single dropped chain in 400kms of riding.

On the patrol I have a RaceFace nw and sram gx rear derailleur. Had 1 chain drop while going down a long flight of stairs the other day during an urban outing.

Sent from my Nokia 6310i

must say that on my previous reign (reign x) I had a raceface narrow wide and x9 combo and I dunno if it was me, but I constantly dropped on the way down Tokai. I think it was a combo of the profile of the teeth (more rounded than any of the others) and just me being an idiot. 

must say that on my previous reign (reign x) I had a raceface narrow wide and x9 combo and I dunno if it was me, but I constantly dropped on the way down Tokai. I think it was a combo of the profile of the teeth (more rounded than any of the others) and just me being an idiot.

Did your derailleur have a clutch?

The teeth of the kalbo chairing are definitely longer than those of the RaceFace, that might have something to do with it. The chain seems to fit into the profile of the Kalbo chairing very nicely.

Sent from my Nokia 6310i

From riding a friends 1x11 bike I've only managed to drop the chain when shifting to the 11T quickly whilst pedaling hard, causing the chain to drop inward towards the bike, but I had to try quite hard to do this, when shifting under no pedal acceleration it never dropped.

Did the J2C and Gravel & Grape races this year, and not one single chain drop with my GX 10spd to 11spd conversion. Using the SRAM 32T chainring, with a KMC chain. Done in excess of 2000km on this combo already.

For those that know, the riding terrain around Worcester can be quite rocky in places, so if you are going to drop a chain, it will be there.

As a by, I'm getting my NX rear derailer the end of the month, and will then fit it together with the NX shifter I already have. Will then be on a "proper factory spec" 11spd bike.

• 3 years later...

So I have the same setup however I'm running an add a cog setup from wolf tooth. so 10 speed cassette 11-42t with a wolftooth 30t ring up front. Im debated removing the MRP but was thinking about just making it a 1x MRP. I might just use your sugestions above thanks.