Using a 2x chainguide on a 1x setup

Grease_Monkey

I recently converted my Shimano slx 2x10 to a Sram NX 1x11 setup. My bike came with an mrp 2x chain guide (it's one of those that have 2 small cogs/rollers, and sit at the bottom of the chainring). The LBS that did the conversion for me left the chain guide on.

I am wondering if anyone thinks I will have any problems with chain drop running this set up. My main concern is around the fact that the chain guide has two cogs/rollers, and that the chain guide may actually end up derailing the chain if somehow the chain gets onto the roller meant for the small chain ring which is no longer there.

I recently converted my Shimano slx 2x10 to a Sram NX 1x11 setup. My bike came with an mrp 2x chain guide (it's one of those that have 2 small cogs/rollers, and sit at the bottom of the chainring). The LBS that did the conversion for me left the chain guide on.

I am wondering if anyone thinks I will have any problems with chain drop running this set up. My main concern is around the fact that the chain guide has two cogs/rollers, and that the chain guide may actually end up derailing the chain if somehow the chain gets onto the roller meant for the small chain ring which is no longer there.

Just remove one of the rollers and put washers on the shaft so that it sits in line with the chainring. Even a cable tie each side of the now single roller will work... 

Just remove one of the rollers and put washers on the shaft so that it sits in line with the chainring. Even a cable tie each side of the now single roller will work... 

Great idea. Will definitely give that a go!

• 2 weeks later...

Are you on a trance? I'm thinking of doing the same with mine.... Save a bit of cash too...

I'm on a 2016 Trance yes.

Just a bit of feedback, I ended up getting rid of the chain guide all together, been for a few rides with it removed, and not a single dropped chain. And the bike looks much cleaner without the guide - in my honest opinion it is completely pointless, and if you really do need a chain guide rather go with a top guide as that is where the chain comes off.

I ended up going with a 34t chainring (because of the 27.5 inch wheels it feels like a 32t would feel on a 29er). I am absolutely loving the set-up, very happy with the quality of the Sram NX components. If you are thinking of doing it - do it! You won't regret it! 1x and dropper seat posts are officially the best things that has ever happened to mountain biking!

List of components I used for the conversion:

-Sram NX 11 speed rear derailleur 

-Sram NX 11 speed shifter

-Sram NX 11 speed cassette (11-42t)

-Sram NX 11 speed chain

-Race Face 34t Narrow-wide chainring (104BCD)

-Kept the original SLX cranks

Edited by Rigardt Griessel

Just a bit of feedback, I ended up getting rid of the chain guide all together, been for a few rides with it removed, and not a single dropped chain. And the bike looks much cleaner without the guide - in my honest opinion it is completely pointless, and if you really do need a chain guide rather go with a top guide as that is where the chain comes off.

I ended up going with a 34t chainring (because of the 27.5 inch wheels it feels like a 32t would feel on a 29er). I am absolutely loving the set-up, very happy with the quality of the Sram NX components. If you are thinking of doing it - do it! You won't regret it! 1x and dropper seat posts are officially the best things that has ever happened to mountain biking!

-Sram NX 11 speed chain

-Sram NX 11 speed chain

Hey thanks dude my nx parts actually arrived today from evobikes pretty amped to get home and begin assembling also went for a 32t absolute black oval for the front... The feature that decided it all for me was the clutch on the sram, no more needing to remember to engage the clutch every time... Trust me I forgot more than once and on helderberg that's a big no no... Chuck norris chain slap of note!

Hey thanks dude my nx parts actually arrived today from evobikes pretty amped to get home and begin assembling also went for a 32t absolute black oval for the front... The feature that decided it all for me was the clutch on the sram, no more needing to remember to engage the clutch every time... Trust me I forgot more than once and on helderberg that's a big no no... Chuck norris chain slap of note!

Awesome man! I think the 32t oval is the right choice where there are lots of hills. You're not gonna be disappointed with the NX, really lekker set-up.

Haha used to make the same mistake with the Shimano, the clutch on the NX is a peach  :thumbup:

-Sram NX 11 speed chain

I'm planning on doing the same conversion but considering Shimano XT instead of SRAM NX. With regards to not running a chain guide, could you maybe give some feedback after you've done more rides as well as the terrain (roots, rocks, etc.) you've been riding?

From my understanding the NW chainring holds the chain much better so I'll also go this route but im not keen on the chain dropping when it gets rough.

I'm planning on doing the same conversion but considering Shimano XT instead of SRAM NX. With regards to not running a chain guide, could you maybe give some feedback after you've done more rides as well as the terrain (roots, rocks, etc.) you've been riding?

From my understanding the NW chainring holds the chain much better so I'll also go this route but im not keen on the chain dropping when it gets rough.

I quite enjoy the rocks, roots, rough terain. On the rides I have done so far I haven't held back at all and not even the slightest sign of chain wanting to come off. I don't think I will ever be needing a chain guide. 2 other guys I ride with, both enjoy rocky stuff, have a 1x set-up without chainguides, one of them did epic this year with no chain drops...

The upside of it is that you can try it out without a chain guide and see how it works out for you, if tou do drop a chain you can get a guide for relatively cheap - something like a csix.

I'll give you my experience on my Reign and narrow wide with both SLX & GX. First narrow wide was a Praxis, now I'm on a Kalbo elliptical narrow wide. 

Not one drop yet. Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal, Jonkershoek, Paarl, Blackhill, Nixon's, Steilte, Simonsberg, Dirtopia... 

Actually, no - I lie. I had a chain drop in the Dirtopia enduro earlier this year when a stick got lodged between the chainring and the chain. 

I'll give you my experience on my Reign and narrow wide with both SLX & GX. First narrow wide was a Praxis, now I'm on a Kalbo elliptical narrow wide.

Not one drop yet. Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal, Jonkershoek, Paarl, Blackhill, Nixon's, Steilte, Simonsberg, Dirtopia...

Actually, no - I lie. I had a chain drop in the Dirtopia enduro earlier this year when a stick got lodged between the chainring and the chain.

In other words - don't waste your money on a chain guide. Used to ride jonkershoek a a student, if you're not dropping chains there, you're not gonna drop them anywhere!

Thanks for this! I'm also on a Reign and im going to toss the chainguide and go with a NW chainring :)

Now just to decide between Shimano XT and SRAM GX/X1?! Not sure what the SRAM equivalent is.

Thanks for this! I'm also on a Reign and im going to toss the chainguide and go with a NW chainring :)

Now just to decide between Shimano XT and SRAM GX/X1?! Not sure what the SRAM equivalent is.

XT equivalent is the X1, but the GX is identical in almost every way and just a tad heavier. Can't say I'd notice the difference against X1. Just get the XT cassette or the NX cassette so that it fits your existing freehub. 

Oh, and I'd take SRAM over shimano every day of the week.

Had XTR on my old epic, SLX on my giant, and now NX. I can without a shaddow of a doubt say go Sram. But at the end of the day it's gonna be down to what your budget and preference is. Nothing wrong with Shimano...

One thing I can reccommend is this - if you can afford it make sure you get a 10-42t cassette. I have 11-42t due to budget constraints and as a result I have to go 34t front to have the top end speed I need causing me to lose some easy gears. The 10-42t with a 32t chainring gives you an amazing range of gears!

But.... going 10-42t means you have to change your free body, and I didnt have the budget for that!

Edited by Rigardt Griessel

On my stumpy with the kalbo chairing and normal sram x9 rear derailleur, I haven't had a single dropped chain in 400kms of riding.

On the patrol I have a RaceFace nw and sram gx rear derailleur. Had 1 chain drop while going down a long flight of stairs the other day during an urban outing.

Sent from my Nokia 6310i