Selling etiquette in Classifieds

Wazza_pe

A prospective buyer (1st dibs) was engaging through pm, and we seemed to be nearing completion of the sale of my item to him. 

I had a few final questions, and once answered, was going to send banking details and prepare the package. After a full 24 hours, he hasn't responded.

Surely in all fairness, I can now offer the item to the person who was 2nd in line?

What is the accepted procedure? Need some input please.

If it's the weekend, I won't apply the 24 hr guideline

People chill, go out and ride their bikes

Definitely for a weekday transaction / communication flow, 24 hrs would be reasonable

its your product If he has given a time within 24 hours when will pick up or you get a notification that a transfer has been made (not cleared per say, wait for it to clear tho) then you keep it out for the person.

Other wise first-come first serve.

Well this sounds familiar, I've also got a buyer keeping me hanging without a reply since Friday afternoon.

Will give him another day.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

The prospective buyer has been online through the day, just not responding to pm. Seems he has possibly lost interest.

I've held a bike (R28k) for a oke swearing on his dog's death he would take it,..well,..it never happened ☺, unless you are desperate for the sale, just give it a few days

That's kinda rude.

Just disregard him and move on then.

I wouldn't feel guilty about it if I were you.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys.

Prospective buyer was active on bikehub several times through the day, but chose not to respond to my message which was read in the morning already. I feel that once someone starts communication, if they really wanted to 'close' the deal, they wouldn't just go silent. I'm concluding that said silence indicates a change of mind. I now feel comfortable moving on to the next interested party.

I agree 100% though, that if he hadn't read the pm, because he was out on a loong ride, I would certainly have given him extra time (as suggested by others above).

Wow, you actually checked when guys were online and when they read the message. Never occurred to me. 

If it were me, it's a looooong weekend, give the guy a day extra. If nothing then PM him and say you're offering it to no 2. Done. 

Had 2 sales dib'd this weekend. One finally came back to say he's in the bush. I'll hold for him until Tuesday. Other had a family issue after 2 days off the radar... same applies. Gave both the 'Let me know either way message' both got back quick. 

Archived