Gravel touring with road tires

Sepia

I am unable to get decent road gravel tires in this country and have had to resort to Gatorskins.

After five side wall rips I decided to make a plan and it seems to work for me.

I purchased two Kenda Kwest tires (cheap), cut off the wire bead of the Gators with a Stanley knife and lined the inside of the Kwests with them.  The 25 Gators fit perfectly into the 28 Kwests as the Gatorskins have thin side walls and fit nice and snug.

Went for a gravel 40kms today and no problems. Rode on the same route to test them and this seems to work.  Tire liners are the pits and don't work for me but this seems the biz? 

At least I have "double sidewalls" Time will tell.

Same problem here

Could not find Spez Trigger Pros. So just bought 35mm Kenda Kwick Tendril UST's yesterday.

More road biased, but they might do the trick.  Not breaking the bank either

Distributors are busy with an order from Schwalbe so if you want some Marathon tires et al, get your order in now. Eight weeks delivery at the same price as CRC.

Schwalbe Sammy slick, anyone got a opinion regarding these? 

attachicon.gifimages sammy.jpg

I've been using these tubed and no punctures for over 10 months. Really good if you can get your hands on them. Been riding mine road, gravel, rocky single track.. 

The local Vee Tire guys also keep a couple good options in stock. They are a little wider but if you're bike can take it they are great too

Schwalbe Sammy slick, anyone got a opinion regarding these? 

attachicon.gifimages sammy.jpg

Have been using them for about 4 years on my road going CX bike.

I bought 2 more from CRC last week.

I like them.

Archived