Helmet Life-span: 1 year?

ByronH

What bell is that? I had a cheap solar and it did the same at the same place after 2 years. Bought a alchera and after 4 years I had replaced the pads 4 times, but the helmet is still in good shape.

It is a Bell ukon. Bought it through Chain Reaction for R250 3 years ago. So a relatively entry level helmet... I was just getting into the sport at the time.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ByronH  - no way that that is normal wear - that helmet got squashed somewhere for sure.

A helmet can last for years if well cared for - main thing is to keep it out of the sun if not used and away from chemical fumes for the rest there is not much that can harm it and do not store it between front and rear seat in car or squash it in the boot.

Shops will want you to buy once a year.

Also there is no safety difference between a good cheap helmet and a very expensive one - it's just not true. Make sure it has passed safety standards and it fits well.

I would be gutted if my helmet had to be replaced after a mere 1 year of use. Obviously barring any unwanted impacts.

LBS who says you should replace after one year speaks crap, change LBS quickly.

Helmets are manufactured to the necessary safety standards should last many years provided they have not been exposed to physical stress.

The padding and straps should frot before the basic structure fails.....

There is a reason why one can buy replacement padding for higher end helmets. If a helmet was only supposed to last a year, that would not be the case

Archived