First Ride: SRAM Eagle XX1

Iwan Kemp

I've had Eagle XX1 for a while.  32 front chainring. It's pretty good - not enough top end though, for dirt roads or tar transitions, but on trails it is just about as close to perfect as you can get.

The shifts aren't anything special; 3x9 SRAM XO RD arguably feels more precise - arguably, but not definitely. But the shifts are classic SRAM, click THUNK positive.

I added a gripshit, as the SRAM thumbshifter is, well, **** compared to Shimano's one.

The only time you notice the gaps in the gearing is when you are going fast, ie on the very small cogs at the back. When climbing, even the big shift from the 42 to the 50 doesn't feel big at all (and shifts as smoothly as any other). I found a hill locally which made 32x50 not enough - up to 31% gradient. I wanted to get off and walk, but had too much self respect even though nobody else was there.

Bike shop told me the cassette costs around NZ$760. That thing gets pampered after every single ride.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic