Tuning Shimano 11 Speed FD

CTJ

I'm hoping there is some mechanics that can help me as this is driving me nuts!

I'm trying to adjust my Shimano 105 11 speed FD but just can't seem to get it right. I have followed the Shimano instructions but no luck.

Main issue is that when I'm in the big chain ring and 2nd gear from the top at the back the chain catches on the inside of the FD. (FD in top trim)

When I correct this issue the chain catches the outside of the FD when I'm in big chain ring and smallest sprocket. (No trim)

The other issue that I picked up is that if I use the cable routing through the adapter to the right of the fixing bolt I can get no leverage from my STI and shifting is almost impossible. I tried both positions offered by the adapter but it simply wont work. Hence I had to revert back the the traditional way of fixing the cable to the left of the fixing bolt and bypassing the adapter. 

It seems like I simply cannot get this setup. Maybe worth mentioning I've been setting my gears myself all my life, from Shimano 8 speed to Campy 10 speed - never had any issues.

Had exact same issue on 5800, multiple tries and nothing, instruction manual didnt help much either, ended up watching a video on you tube , found that you must have at least one barrel or inline barrel connector on the cable for tension.

We did discuss this on another thread but I can't remember the title.  Basically setting up the 11 speed road FD sucks!  Assuming that you have the pin set for the correct cable angle the secret is to pull the cable very tight - with pliers.  If you don't do this the first trim is useless.  As Muagie said you need a barrel adjuster as well.  Once the FD is set the support bolt that screws onto the frame must also be in place to prevent the FD rotating.  Trial and error and because all the bolts have to be tight (7nm +) be prepared to sacrifice a cable or two.

Pretty sure you're crossing your chain when in large ring and largest cog on the cassette. Not the greatest thing to do as it stresses the components and causes excessive wear

here's a link - http://www.bicyclechainrings.com/crosschaining.html

No - I never ride big chain ring and largest cog. Always 2nd from the top if I really have to.

No - I never ride big chain ring and largest cog. Always 2nd from the top if I really have to.

Riding cross chained may not be advisable but it is no excuse for gear noise.  I ride a compact crank and use every gear.  I never look down and my legs tell me when to change.  My shifters tell me when I am at the limit.  I may wear chains faster than when I had a standard crank but my cassettes last much longer as I continually move over a bigger range of gears.

I have a barrel adjuster, and I find myself (occasionally) having to make small adjustments on the fly. It's as if the trim function hardly moves the FD at all (up and down).

It doesn't bother me as I prefer not to ride cross chained.

But if there is a solution, I'm keen to see if it works.

Had exact same issue on 5800, multiple tries and nothing, instruction manual didnt help much either, ended up watching a video on you tube , found that you must have at least one barrel or inline barrel connector on the cable for tension.

Yip - already have the barrel adjuster. No luck...