Specialized Camber vs Camber

Two-Stroke

Keen to get some first-hand opinions/experiences from those who have owned or ridden the previous generation and latest generation Camber please...?

Busy toying with the idea of selling the Epic and seeing how the world looks from a Camber.  How much different is the rider experience and handling on the 2016 Camber over the one it replaced (2014 I think)?

I see the frame shape changed slightly, susp travel increased from 110mm to 120mm, and the chainstay length shortened.  All good reading it all on paper, but how different are they in reality?

I owned a 2014 Stumpy - the base model, but haven't ridden the 2016 model. By all accounts, the 2016 29er is an extremely competent bike.

The main benefit of the 2016/7 bikes is the updated geometry. The Camber is now more a general trail bike as opposed to an aggro XC bike.

If you're coming from the Epic, you'll immediatley feel comfortable on the Camber. It's light, responsive and perfect for general trail riding and long days in the saddle. It's also a more competent descender than the Epic.

If I were you, try to avoid the 2016 versions with the mini-Brain - even Specialized have dropped it from the 2017 lineup of Cambers. It's unnecessary maintenance costs and doesn't improve the ride.

https://youtu.be/soO05tvS7o8

Ultimately, you can't go wrong with the Camber.

Ehat Odinson said. Btw, only the most expensive ones had the Brain anyway so don't worry about it, it's gone on the 2017 ones anyway. Also, the 2016 versions sold so well they are pretty much all sold. If you can afford a carbon version you will also get the phenominal swat-box in the frame, if not, the alloy Comp is still awesome !

I tested the previous generation comp carbon as well as 2016 carbon one and the newer one's are definitely more playful. Bought my 2016 Comp in Feb and have loved every moment spent on it. You can't go wrong with a Camber !

Anybody? Somebody?  :ph34r:

The 2014 Camber has a steeper head angle than the 2016 which makes the latter more trail orientated. The 110mm suspension vs 120mm suspension ads another dimension. The 2016 bike with SWAT storage is a great feature. Overall the 2016 bike is aimed at trail riders with the capability to do endurance and stage races where the 2014 models were aimed at racing with trail capabilities. Hope this helps a bit. PS, I ride an Epic and a Camber, both 2016 models. Camber is a great bike, any day of the week. 

I have a 2015. It is brilliant. Haven't ridden the 2016. According to me the geometry is more or less the same. Mine also has 120mm travel. Awesome bikes all round. Definately worth getting

Good question by OP & helpful feedback; with a limited budget, what are the pros & cons regarding a new/nearly new alloy Camber 2016 vs an older (2012-13) Camber Carbon, for XC riding & racing by a noob?

as a start:

2016 Camber alloy: less component wear, revised geometry for better/easier handling & downhill ability

2012 Camber carbon: lighter, racier geometry, maybe better components but worn, (con could be Brain shock)

Tx

Andrew

Good question by OP & helpful feedback; with a limited budget, what are the pros & cons regarding a new/nearly new alloy Camber 2016 vs an older (2012-13) Camber Carbon, for XC riding & racing by a noob?

as a start:

2016 Camber alloy: less component wear, revised geometry for better/easier handling & downhill ability

2012 Camber carbon: lighter, racier geometry, maybe better components but worn, (con could be Brain shock)

Tx

Andrew

No way I'd go for the old Camber just to have bragging rights about owning a plastic bike.

Event the alu model will leave the old bike for dead on an XC course.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong with the Camber.

You can't go wrong with a Camber !

Camber is a great bike, any day of the week. 

What they all said

I had a 2014 Camber Comp Carbon ... absolutely loved it!! Great bike! (just had very poo brakes)

Then I got a 2016 CCC....Greater bike! it's phenomenal!!

Thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I added slightly wider rims.. now it's out of this world!

Camber vs Camber....

Whichever Camber your budget allows you to buy, get that.. 

Camber FTW :thumbup:

I owned a 2014 camber comp carbon and now own a 2016 camber comp carbon.

Apart from price, there are SUBSTANTIAL differences between the two bikes.

2014 : 2016

110mm : 120mm

formula brakes : shimano brakes

no swat box : swat box

2x10 XT: 1 x11 GX

no dropper (2015 has dropper): standard dropper post

external cabling  :  internal cabling

steeper : relaxed head tube angle

narrow-ish rims : wide (29mm internal) rims

My personal view is to go for the 2016 if you can get one.  The 2016 is a much more FUN bike, and it feels and is faster.

BTW, the 2017 has same frame as the 2016 but all Brains have been removed.