Some Help with A Giant Trance?

SeanGrey

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much, luckily did the bike fit and tried to forget everything I read previously. I have broader shoulders and my bars apparently should be at 750 which is what they are and I find them really comfortable. Im cool with the 75mm stock giant contact stem but thought going wider bars (750) and slightly shorter stem would only improve handling even more so. Will stick my 750 bars on the new bike and keep the stock stem until I go for the fit on my new bike to get the reach 100%. Thanks for all the info! 

New 2017 version comes stock with a 750mm bar & 70mm stem, which the reviewers say should be a little shorter due to the focus of the bike (all mountain / trail riding) and would have made it a better bike. 

As for the above advice, the reason a shorter stem doesn't work as well with older geo frames is because we were mostly on the wrong size frames. If you reduced them to current standards you'd have been too cramped. 

Hence JXV is right that his frame wouldn't have suited a stem shorter than 70mm, but not for the reasons he thinks. It would have been better to say that at his height / size he would have had to upsize his frame to enable him to use a shorter stem. Not saying a 70mm stem is bad, it still falls within my personal acceptability ratings. But you (JXV) were on the limit ito that frame's suitability given its outdated geo

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I'm 178/179

Then you should definitely be on a Large. 

Large new trance (2017) is still shorter than the current Reign by 10mm in the reach and top tube departments. Which essentially means you're bang on for the large with a short stem. Bars - personal taste as long as (IMO) they're 740 plus. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

That height with arm length being slightly longer I think means I was inbetween M/L and went from a tiny old Trek so thought the Medium would be easier to learn how to bunny hop, wheelie, throw around more as it looked huge in comparison to my old bike. Now that i'm used to it it feels normal maybe a bit small even. 

Then you should definitely be on a Large. 

Large new trance (2017) is still shorter than the current Reign by 10mm in the reach and top tube departments. Which essentially means you're bang on for the large with a short stem. Bars - personal taste as long as (IMO) they're 740 plus. 

Awesome thanks, yea i've come to realise a large would have been better. Was cool having the medium to learn on as even tho it may have been in my head it felt easier to throw around but then I have only ridden the large in the parking lot. Oh nice, didn't know it come stock with 750 and 70 that helps. I do like doing XC stuff for fun and fitness so will keep the 70 for now and see would keep me in a good position for both i'd think. 

I'm 178/179

Right on the borderline between med and large...it can be a tough choice. I'm 1.81 and was comfortable on a Med Giant ATX860 a decade ago when Giants were long compared to other bikes but so much has changed now. My last 3 bikes have been L frames.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

Right on the borderline between med and large...it can be a tough choice

Yea spent ages researching it and went for a proper fit too. Basically when I stand in the attack position my weight goes too far forward in the neutral position. I can get back easily enough but riding in a normal standing position there is too much weight on the bars and front end. Think going large with a longer reach of around 5cm will pull my weight back a bit and centre it. If I need to tweak it I can go shorter stem just don't want to have to put a long stem on the trance. Slight increase in wheelbase will also add to the stability on the down. 

Edited by SeanNew2Ride

Yea spent ages researching it and went for a proper fit too. Basically when I stand in the attack position my weight goes too far forward in the neutral position. I can get back easily enough but riding in a normal standing position there is too much weight on the bars and front end. Think going large with a longer reach of around 5cm will pull my weight back a bit and centre it. If I need to tweak it I can go shorter stem just don't want to have to put a long stem on the trance. 

Aaaand that's exactly why MTB is going long and low with shorter stems.

I'm 178/179

Dam... was hoping u were gonna say 180+! I am also 178 on a med, and it has been feeling like I need a larger bike - was hoping it's just in my head, but I don't think so.

Oh well... this might just give me an excuse to buy a large 2017 haha

Yea spent ages researching it and went for a proper fit too. Basically when I stand in the attack position my weight goes too far forward in the neutral position. I can get back easily enough but riding in a normal standing position there is too much weight on the bars and front end. Think going large with a longer reach of around 5cm will pull my weight back a bit and centre it. If I need to tweak it I can go shorter stem just don't want to have to put a long stem on the trance. Slight increase in wheelbase will also add to the stability on the down.

Seems your bias is towards trail performance and technical/steep riding for leisure with XC as a side activity so I think you're making the right choices. Enjoy.

Seems your bias is towards trail performance and technical/steep riding for leisure with XC as a side activity so I think you're making the right choices. Enjoy.

Yeah. For XC / Marathon only the 70mm would have been fine. But the underlying feeling of being cramped was due to too short a reach figure, which means... longer frame. 

Your TBLTc has extremely conservative numbers by current standards though. Which is why, for your measurements, the stem couldn't come lower than 70 without sacrificing fit. 

Dam... was hoping u were gonna say 180+! I am also 178 on a med, and it has been feeling like I need a larger bike - was hoping it's just in my head, but I don't think so.

Oh well... this might just give me an excuse to buy a large 2017 haha

haha oh nooo! Yea i'm around 178/9. Arms around 57.8 using the competitive cyclist measurements. So with my seat in the correct position using the knee to middle of pedal technique my reach is too short on the Medium unless I go longer stem. 

I had my 2015 Giant trance 2 up for sale here in Cape Town and got loads of replies so good time to sell anyways. Lots of people looking for a good deal with those who are choosing to upgrade to the 2017 models. Perhaps jump on and sell while the time is right and size up. You have the newer 2016 anyways should sell well. Think they are going for 29k now at Giant without any discount or bartering haha. 

Yea I love going fast downhill and riding more technical single track (the stuff I can manage with my current skill level that is.) I also want to get better and do those Enduro events here in CT. On the other hand I did my first ever event over the weekend (Fedhealth 65km in Durbanville) Xc style with lots of hills to say the least and enjoyed it. Wont compete anytime soon so the Trance over say the Anthem or Anthem SX for me is a better choice as I would like more bike for the downhills and would rather get fitter and struggle a little more on the up for that gain.  

haha oh nooo! Yea i'm around 178/9. Arms around 57.8 using the competitive cyclist measurements. So with my seat in the correct position using the knee to middle of pedal technique my reach is too short on the Medium unless I go longer stem. 

I had my 2015 Giant trance 2 up for sale here in Cape Town and got loads of replies so good time to sell anyways. Lots of people looking for a good deal with those who are choosing to upgrade to the 2017 models. Perhaps jump on and sell while the time is right and size up. You have the newer 2016 anyways should sell well. Think they are going for 29k now at Giant without any discount or bartering haha. 

Ech. A trance with a stem of longer than 70mm makes me nauseous.