Beginners advice needed

Justin91

Hi guys,

I have placed an order for my first bike and will probably get it next week.

Two questions:

- I have been told that a tubeless conversion is well worth it and will save me many hours patching tubes. Cycle lab want R1500 to do it (thats where I am getting the bike from). Is it worth it? I didnt ask at first, but does that include new tires or do they keep the stock ones and just remove the tube and do the rest of the conversion?

- Are Mr Price Sport helmets and shorts any good? They are a lot cheaper than cycle lab and even sportsmans warehouse, but I have no idea of the quality.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say get the tubeless tyres, it's well worth it. I am not sure if that will include new tires, although I think it will. Just email them and find out.

Do not buy a helmet from Mr. Price sport. If you are tight on money rather wait with the tubeless conversion and use that money for a decent helmet.

Welcome to the bikehub

Ten to one the tires are tubeless ready so no it is a total rip-off.

You could do it yourself - many youtube videos to show you how.

You could take it to a bike shop which could be cheaper.

As long as the helmet passes the standards test it is safe so would be fine.

It is a myth that expensive helmets are better than cheaper ones. What is very important is that it fits properly and is comfortable.

Mr Price products are good.

A tubeless conversion is a must  , but for a R1500 and it doesn't include tubeless tyres then i would say that's a rip off in my opinion.

As for the helmet just make sure it fits right and you comfortable with it. Mr price shorts not very comfortable from what i have heard. If you going to spend hours on the saddle you want something comfortable.

What would I be looking for to check if the tyres are tubeless ready? If they are ready, what's a fair price for the conversion then?

I'll take a look at the YouTube vids, if it isn't all that hard, I might just give it a shot myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R1500 for the tubeless conversion is a little crazy. I agreed with Brooks42, skip the tubeless conversion and get a solid helmet. Tubeless can always happen later, but if you fall on your noggen with a crappy helmet you done for.

What would I be looking for to check if the tyres are tubeless ready? If they are ready, what's a fair price for the conversion then?

I'll take a look at the YouTube vids, if it isn't all that hard, I might just give it a shot myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you buy the bike? Tell them to do it for you as you bought the bike from them. Otherwise it should be like R450. What bike did you get?

Where did you buy the bike? Tell them to do it for you as you bought the bike from them. Otherwise it should be like R450. What bike did you get?

Aaargh, sorry. Read the post too fast I see you bought at CycleLab

R1500 is too much you could a buy stans do it yourself kit in a box for about a grand and a bike shop would do it for less

check the tyres are tubless ready and do it later

get a good helmet instead

wear what you like and ride your bike :thumbup:

At R1500 for the tubeless conversion I would expect to select any two tyres I'd like. Ie I should be able to put 2 Schwalbe Snakeskins / Vittoria TNTs / Conti Protections etc. on if I wanted to.

It costs the bike shop almost nothing to tape your wheels and put sealant in, and in my opinion if someone is buying anything more than a recreational bike it should be included in the price. I don't know anyone or any bike shop who doesn't recommend tubeless for MTB off the bat.

As far as I am aware when buying a reputable brand of helmet the level of protection doesnt increase with price, but rather the weight/aero/ventilation changes.... Im not sure of the Mr Price brands but rather buy a lower end price from a reputable brand - LBS (local Bike shop) will have.

Never used Mr Price shorts but dont skimp on good padding, you dont want to worry about your bum when your legs are hurting.

Also I always say "once you go bib you never go back". But bibs are generally more expensive than shorts

Welcome to the Bike Hub and to the joys of cycling!

If you opt to leave the tubeless conversion, please make sure you get decent tyre levers, Co2 bombs, patches and at least 1 spare tube to take with you on rides. Also make sure you know how to get the tyre off and fix a puncture or replace a tube. 

Or don't ride far from where you park and wear shoes that you can walk in!!

And for sure get a decent helmet.

R1500 for tubeless conversion seems a bit high. But have you seen the crazy prices on rim tape recently?

The conversion can be done in an hour on new clean wheels. Remove tyre and tubes. Tape the rims, fit tubeless valves, refit tyres, seat the beads, pour in sealant, re inflate, done.

Parts needed are rim tape and valves and sealant. It the tyres are unsuitable then new ones are needed and then I could see it being more than R1500.....and you keep the discarded tyres

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oh, I agree that the price is way too high. Depending on the bike you bought, many bike shops would do the conversion as a service for nothing!

I got a Silverback Spectra Comp 29er. The tyres that it comes with are Maxxis Sphinx which seem to be OEM wheels as I cant find any other info on them. The guy at the shop said though that the sidewalls are thin. So I would assume for R1500 it would include two new tyres, but I will make sure closer to the time.

R1500 is too much you could a buy stans do it yourself kit in a box for about a grand and a bike shop would do it for less

check the tyres are tubless ready and do it later

get a good helmet instead

wear what you like and ride your bike :thumbup:

I went into one other shop, and they also wanted R1500 for a conversion, but again, I assume that would be with tyres? Bell Helmets any good?

Welcome to the Bike Hub and to the joys of cycling!

If you opt to leave the tubeless conversion, please make sure you get decent tyre levers, Co2 bombs, patches and at least 1 spare tube to take with you on rides. Also make sure you know how to get the tyre off and fix a puncture or replace a tube. 

Or don't ride far from where you park and wear shoes that you can walk in!!

And for sure get a decent helmet.

For this reason alone I am almost tempted to just do the conversion upfront, I might as well spend the couple bucks that this would all cost towards the conversion. Just trying to figure out if R1500 is a rip off or not. Also, need to find out whether doing the conversion myself is an option on the stock standard tyres.

I got a Silverback Spectra Comp 29er. The tyres that it comes with are Maxxis Sphinx which seem to be OEM wheels as I cant find any other info on them. The guy at the shop said though that the sidewalls are thin. So I would assume for R1500 it would include two new tyres, but I will make sure closer to the time.

I went into one other shop, and they also wanted R1500 for a conversion, but again, I assume that would be with tyres? Bell Helmets any good?

For this reason alone I am almost tempted to just do the conversion upfront, I might as well spend the couple bucks that this would all cost towards the conversion. Just trying to figure out if R1500 is a rip off or not. Also, need to find out whether doing the conversion myself is an option on the stock standard tyres.

Jip Bell helmets are good. if it includes two new tires then not bad I suppose

Archived