Machining of 10 speed freehub body to 11 speed.

Jackson123

Good morning all.

Now I believe it is possible to "convert" a 10 speed freehub body to be 11 speed compatible via "machining".

Please could anyone who have experience on this topic give me a shout?

I would like to convert my current 10 speed body to be 11 speed compatible, as I am unable to find a new freehub body that will be compatible with the hub of my wheel.

I am located in the Gauteng area (Joburg South), if any of you know someone who can assist me in the Gauteng area, please let me know.

Regards,

Jackson.

Good morning all.

Now I believe it is possible to "convert" a 10 speed freehub body to be 11 speed compatible via "machining".

Please could anyone who have experience on this topic give me a shout?

I would like to convert my current 10 speed body to be 11 speed compatible, as I am unable to find a new freehub body that will be compatible with the hub of my wheel.

I am located in the Gauteng area (Joburg South), if any of you know someone who can assist me in the Gauteng area, please let me know.

Regards,

Jackson.

Any automotive machine shop with a lathe and competent operator can do it - the size to remove is documented on the web - google it...

as mentioned above, but if you have a Shimano hub machining the freehub body is out due to its design. So you will have to machine the back of the cassette instead but this is different on every wheel/hub combo at you want to avoid the chain touching the spokes when at the top on the cassette. So take the wheel with you so they can test fit.

Isn't the Sram Xd cassettes the only ones that need a new or machined freebody?

Shimano 11 speed fits any std freehub

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Isn't the Sram Xd cassettes the only ones that need a new or machined freebody?

Shimano 11 speed fits any std freehub

I fitted 11 speed Sunrace cassette to 9 speed Shimano hub without issues

Any recommended "machiners" in Cape Town?

I would ask Jared at BMC.  I know that Kevin Wilkinson, who used to work for BMC, started a machine / engineering workshop. He did some work for me on a restoration. (Repaired a classic Campy derailleur with stripped threads and made a shim for an impossible size seat post) Unfortunately I don't seem to have his number anymore, but I know that BMC sometimes sends specialized machining jobs to him rather than to do it in-house. 

http://www.bicyclerepairs.co.za/contact-us/

Edit: Just to clarify. Kevin is very much a bike mechanic. He used to work for BMC, so he'll know bike specific stuff as well as manufacturing/machining.

• 1 month later...

I would ask Jared at BMC.  I know that Kevin Wilkinson, who used to work for BMC, started a machine / engineering workshop. He did some work for me on a restoration. (Repaired a classic Campy derailleur with stripped threads and made a shim for an impossible size seat post) Unfortunately I don't seem to have his number anymore, but I know that BMC sometimes sends specialized machining jobs to him rather than to do it in-house. 

http://www.bicyclerepairs.co.za/contact-us/

Edit: Just to clarify. Kevin is very much a bike mechanic. He used to work for BMC, so he'll know bike specific stuff as well as manufacturing/machining.

HIs website: http://www.ss-eng.co.za/

I have done it to my road bike.

You can either machine the free body, or like I did machine the back of the cassette.

I have access to a machine shop so its not an issue for me.

Below image is an example for a DT Swiss hub.

I used the same measurement on my shimano hubs and it works fine.

But I recommend checking before machining.

Measure twice, machine once.

post-35520-0-90018600-1540198522_thumb.jpg

Archived