swapping sealed bearings for cartridge?

Jameslaskey

Hi guys I am a student so I am knowingly in the wrong sport as mtb requires money and lots of it when something goes wrong..

To get to the point I am curious if anyone has replaced old rough wheel hub bearings (cones and balls) with a well fitted cartridge bearing?

My hope is that a cartridge bearing would fit (with a tiny bit of persuasion) in place of the balls and outer cone on my rear hub and would be significantly less expensive than buying a new hub and getting it laced into my old rim..

It should fit the original axle through the middle and use some arrangement of the original nuts to center the axle snugly between the two bearings..

Let me know if this is a stupid idea or if it is possible. I take criticism well haha

Thanks hubbers

Unlikely, usually the hub side of cup and cone is machined into the Hub. Machining this to fit a bearing would require hub removed from rim, thus negating the purpose of this excersize. 

That's said generally and should be correct for most situations.

Cup and cones are finniky- but often can be made to run smooth again with proper servicing if the bearing surfaces are not yet damaged - might be worth a shot - clean, new bearings and grease and a proper adjustment might be all that is needed.

The adjustment between too loose and too tight is very small and they run rough outside that tiny window.

Edited by V12man

Cartridge bearings are awesome and generally bulletproof but the cost to replace and labour involved has had me thinking that cup and cone may not be so bad after all, relatively easy and cheap to maintain in comparison.

As long as the cups in the hub body are not too badly damaged you can replace the balls and cones. Not expensive. Fresh grease and careful adjustment and good to go again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes I agree I do not think that would be possible.

I recently went from road to mtb and the cup and cone XT hubs that came with my wheel set are easy to maintain and all it takes is to clean and grease them up when I do my monthly maintenance and they are good to go.

Get a cone wrench and torque wrench and some good wheel bearing grease and you'll be good for many years to come.