MTB for beginner lady...

Surprize

I've been riding my mtb for a couple of years, and now my fiance is considering also giving it a try. Yay!!!

The thing is she hasn't been on a bicycle since primary school so she is quite nervous/scared about it.

I would like to surprise her by getting her her own brand new bike but I need to start compiling a short list of sorts.

Some questions I have though is will a ladies specific frame be better for confidence because of the lower stand over height?

Also, will the wheel size make a difference in the sense that it makes the bike feel more stable or makes it easier to steer?

I remember when I started out that the entry-level bike with low spec components I had was more frustrating than fun to ride, and it put me off cycling for 3 or 4 years before I tried again. This time round I used a better bike - one that actually worked. Since then I've been hooked!!!

Are there any other factors I need to keep in mind to make it as EASY and FUN as possible for a beginner?

At the moment I'm looking at the 2017 Scott Contessa Scale 720 bike.

Any other advice or options will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hi Surprize

My wife started mountain biking last year. She also had not been on a bike since school.

We decided to get the 2015 Scott Contessa Scale 730. It has been a brilliant bike and have had no issues or complaints. The only upgrade we did was to put tubeless tyres on the bike.

My wife has loved this bike and has done many fun rides, races as well as a couple of MTB Marathon Nationals. The bike has been awesome!

It is however a hard tail, and now my wife is looking to upgrade to a soft tail as the MTB bug has certainly bitten. The Scott contessa Scale 730 is an excellent bike and I would buy that as an entry level bike for your fiance.

I agree on the low spec components!

The entry-level Titan my wife bought herself had low spec drivetrain components (3x8spd, probably Acera or Alivio I think), and we found that she simply doesn't have the thumb strength to shift up at the front. So, after every uphill we would have to stop, so I could do the gear change for her.

Recently I managed to scrounge together some SLX/XT 2x10spd components (thanks Bikehub/LBS), and it makes all the difference. Now just to replace the borderline useless Tektro discs with something that does more stopping than squeaking...

I have recently been through the same process with my fiancé (and incidentally also started with a Scott Contessa, so perhaps can be helpful). She did the 35k race at van Gaalens on Saturday, so thus far this has been a successful experiment.

Consider buying second hand as a starter bike - there are lots of other ladies looking for second hand bikes and this might make it easier to chop and change if you're looking for that, plus if things are going well you'll upgrade in the near future. There is always a healthy selection of second hand equipment on the hub. Particularly if you're buying a 26" wheel size.

The bike you're looking at is a hard tail and I can't see the wheel size. Your fiancé will hear a lot of feedback from other cyclists on how much easier life is on a softtail as well as on the larger wheel sizes (also they may have a point). This is especially true if she's going to go to skills clinics or 1-on-1 coaching, which eventually resulted in us upgrading.

27.5 is a good size on a small frame bike. A 29er wheel takes a little more skill and confidence to handle.  Also look out for lady-friendly features like 165mm or 170mm cranks, shorter stem, and not overly chunky tyres. My other half now rides a small 27.5 Pyga with 140mm of travel - so don't go too racey - a trail bike is really forgiving and bounces over pretty much everything and will take us to more fun places sooner than a race machine.

Finally I got my other half into the sport by riding a road tandem for a while (we bought the mtb first and the tandem later). This has been a great option because she gets to ride a lot further and faster than she would otherwise (regularly do rides over 120km), and we don't lose each other on the road. Its a great way to get a feel for being on bikes generally.

Also we went 1x10 - only one shifter, which has made things much simpler for the new rider. that's a 32 at the front and a 11/42 cassette at the back.

2017 Scott Contessa Scale 720 bike - great bike

the ladies don't like their bums getting sore so maybe look at a 760 spark contessa?

I promise you - a nice dually that you don't have to hear "has no suspension" "hurts my bum"

deore/slx is also nice enough. and sparks are so light you wont even know it has lesser parts.

I would throw in a Giant/Liv Lust - or whatever they call the new one...

Spez also has nice woman specific bikes.

Have her try all of them. Take her to test out all the bikes and let her choose.

Oh and a comfy saddle.

I would also recommend flat pedals to begin with. This does help with the confidence. Then when you move to clip-on pedals, think about getting some light enduro type knee pads for a while.

I also recommend doing a bit of off road training before attempting a race. Start with easy stuff. If you have not trained off road enough, when you get to a race then you try and ride everything, which is a big mistake.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!!  :thumbup:

It sounds like the women specific frame is the way to go then...

My fiance is 1.66m so i guess that would be a medium frame?

I will definitely upgrade the wheel/tires to tubeless and fit some flat pedals. Was also considering changing the drive train 1 x for simplicity.

I've heard/read that it is better to learn on a hardtail that a dual suspension - any truth to this statement?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!! [emoji106]

I will definitely upgrade the wheel/tires to tubeless and fit some flat pedals. Was also considering changing the drive train 1 x for simplicity.

I've heard/read that it is better to learn on a hardtail that a dual suspension - any truth to this statement?

1.66m is more likely a Small frame. I strongly suggest you actually get her to try a few bikes rather than you pick one as a surprise gift.

Frame sizing is only one issue. She likely has smaller hands so may need smaller grips. She also needs to be able to reach the brake levers ( you can't adjust reach on some of the cheaper brake levers) and feel generally comfortable on the bike.

Some women's specific bikes are just 'shrinked and pinked' versions of normal frames while others have different frames and features right theough ( e.g. Spez Camber and equivalent Rumor).

Others have mentioned shorter cranks and shifters with a light feel. Also consider that unless quite athletic, many novice women riders prefer the greater gear range of 2x and 3x gearsets although the range of 1x systems is improving these days and the simplicity is great too.

For many beginners there is a leg strength/fitness hump that we regular riders have long forgotten. Easy gears are nice when u start out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response JXV!

I will most certainly take my fiancé to try out a few bikes. What I meant by surprise is to take her to the shop to choose for herself. The visit to go and choose one will be the surprise.

Got my wife last years Contessa 720 and she loves it too. Did however upgrade the brakes _moved over my bike's when I upgraded) , went tubeless and then converted to 1x as she got frustrated with messing up front shifts.

However, even though she doesn't like the 29' wheels on my bike (apparently feels too big?) she is actually wsy more competent over rougher stuff on my Camber, and now also wants a dualsuss. There are a few options out there. The new Giant Liv bikes are all 27,5 but will likely be pretty expensive. Then the new Contessa should be out soon, and of course theres the Womens Camber which is 27,5 too that looks really impressive and well priced. I know Specialized already have some demo ones at the shops that she could try. Now sure ofthe others.

Budget budget or buying once.The Scott is n really nice package.(Remember to pick her colour)

Of the bikes currently on my list she likes the colour of the Scott the most!!  :clap:

The bikes currently on my list is

Giant/Liv Tempt 2

Merida Juliet 7 500

Scott Contessa 720 

Trek Cali SL

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!!  :thumbup:

It would be best to get her measured properly.  you don't want to get the wrong size.

I am 1.70 and ride a ladies medium, but mens small.

Most important, get the right size saddle.  Most ladies bikes come with a 143cm which is not suitable for all ladies.  I always need to swop for a 155cm.

Also decent shorts is very important.  Lots of ladies are put off because their lady bits hurt from not having proper shorts.  Don't need the fancy brands, just something that fits well.

It would be best to get her measured properly.  you don't want to get the wrong size.

I am 1.70 and ride a ladies medium, but mens small.

Most important, get the right size saddle.  Most ladies bikes come with a 143cm which is not suitable for all ladies.  I always need to swop for a 155cm.

Also decent shorts is very important.  Lots of ladies are put off because their lady bits hurt from not having proper shorts.  Don't need the fancy brands, just something that fits well.

Thanks Ratty!!

Any suggestions of ladies shorts with comfortable padding or brands that we should rather avoid?

Archived