The 100th Giro d'Italia

'Dale

Well I suppose Quintana will sleep well know there are only two TT (14 km + 22,5km).

There are 5 Mountain stages.  One before the first rest day, two in the middle and two in the last week.

Compared to the Giro and Vuelta the TDF is an easy stage race.

Just the media who portrays the Tour as the best thing in cycling. (Which it is not)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the Maincheese even be regarded as a team leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will the Maincheese even be regarded as a team leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably not.

Contador...pffft! I have been cycling since 2010, and I have yet to witness the so-called brilliance of Contador.

SNIP

http://cdn1.cyclist.co.uk/sites/cyclist/files/styles/gallery_adv/public/0/59//alberto_contador_049.jpg?itok=NIY2Jhty

Just the media who portrays the Tour as the best thing in cycling. (Which it is not)

Rory Sutherland, domestique Move', expressed in a media interview somewhere just before stage 21 that the Giro is definitely the hardest of the 3 GTs

Ummm he's won the Vuelta 3 times, Giro 2 Times, TDF 2 times

Yes, I know what he has won. But watching the actual races I failed to notice the brilliance that everybody was talking about pre 2010, which was about when the steak incident happened.

Ummm he's won the Vuelta 3 times, Giro 2 Times, TDF 2 times

"I don't know who you are... but thanx for sticking up for me..."

b4f41b798fcb5171fbb9d5e7ed341961.jpg

Then why has one oke won it 4 times in 5 years if its so easy? :P

Then why has one oke won it 4 times in 5 years if its so easy? :P

That doesn't make any sense.

Probably because it's easy.

I couldn't quite put my finger on it, until I realised that the lack of exciting cycling today has added to my Monday blues.

What an amazing 3 weeks of ups and downs.

Great pic.

That trophy. So beautiful.

CORVOS_00028065-014.jpg

He deserved to win. It's also refreshing to have a different winner for a change to the usual / celebrity ones.

The trophy is stunning especially in that rose gold colour. 

Yes, I know what he has won. But watching the actual races I failed to notice the brilliance that everybody was talking about pre 2010, which was about when the steak incident happened.

We'll talk again after the tour. (when he's the only one attacking Froome/Sky left right and center) 

Well I suppose Quintana will sleep well know there are only two TT (14 km + 22,5km).

There are 5 Mountain stages.  One before the first rest day, two in the middle and two in the last week.

Thanx for the info.  :thumbup:

That'll suit him.

He will prob co-lead with Valverde then

Giving Movistar some options.

Wonder how much team depth they've got.

Race Notes (Cyclingtips)

The closest-ever margin of victory at the Giro was in 1948, when just 11 seconds separated race winner Fiorenzo Magni and Ezio Cecchi.

Dumoulin is the first Dutchman to win the Giro d’Italia, 50 years after Jan Janssen became the first Dutchman to win a Grand Tour, the 1967 Vuelta a España.

Now riders from 13 different nations have won the Giro.

This is the fifth overall win in a Grand Tour by a Dutch rider after Jan Janssen who also won the 1968 Tour de France and Joop Zoetemelk who won both the 1979 Vuelta a España and the 1980 Tour de France. Erik Breukink was the only Dutchman to have reached the final podium of the Giro previously, taking third in 1987 and second in 1988.

It’s the third time the maglia rosa has changed hands on the last stage after Francesco Moser dethroned Laurent Fignon in 1984 and Ryder Hesjedal overturned Joaquim Rodriguez in 2012. In 1976, there was also a change of leader on the final day with Felice Gimondi taking over from Johan de Muynck in a time trial, but that was a morning stage before the final stage later the same day.

This was the second-tightest Giro podium ever, just 40 seconds between the winner and the rider who came third. In 1974, the final result was: 1. Eddy Merckx, 2. Gianbattista Baronchelli at 12 seconds, 3. Felice Gimondi at 33 seconds.

It’s the fifth Giro final podium for Vincenzo Nibali in seven years; he has two victories (2013, 2016), one second place (2011) and two third places (2010, 2017). It’s his ninth podium in a Grand Tour

Jos van Emden won his first Grand Tour stage in Milan, recording the fifth fastest time trial in the history of the Giro (53.058km/h). The record remains the 2001 prologue: 58.874km/h by Rik Verbrugghe.

Definitely not second tier he rode against. Way too harsh.

Also not sure how Contador is classed as first tier? I get he's a fan favourite for most, even though I have no idea why, but he's never been anywhere close to Froome for quite a while now. And Bardet? Cmon dude.

If anything, Froome is first tier and everyone else is second tier, or at least Team Sky is first tier. The likes of Nibali, Quintana, Contador and now Dumoulin, they're all on a similar level. Lets see if any of them can make that step up.

This is just a trolling post, surely. Or someone is very very naive. (Then again, the post you're replying to is just as bad).

We need look no further than last year's Vuelta to see just how close Quintana, Froome and Contador were. As I've said before, the margins are so small between first and the rest, that the slightest thing (like Contador continually falling off his bike) can have a profound outcome on the result.

Froome is beatable, it's just going to take some cunning bike riding to do so.

This is just a trolling post, surely. Or someone is very very naive. (Then again, the post you're replying to is just as bad).

We need look no further than last year's Vuelta to see just how close Quintana, Froome and Contador were. As I've said before, the margins are so small between first and the rest, that the slightest thing (like Contador continually falling off his bike) can have a profound outcome on the result.

Froome is beatable, it's just going to take some cunning bike riding to do so.

he was just under 5 min off. That's not really that close in my opinion. Previous Tour de France years he's been more than 5 min off the pace.

As soon as we hit the first mountain stage, Alberto will dropped like always. You can quote me on that.

Archived