The 100th Giro d'Italia

'Dale

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm going nuts :ph34r: :eek:

We are all busy coming off our Giro high..it's tough I tell you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure the giro thread is enjoying all this Tour de France talk ..... hint hint Cav time to start the TDF 2017 thread

Should be a TDF build up thread.. then we can cover all the build up racers too.

Back to the Giro..

Isn't it cool that Bennett finished the Giro..all the other sprinters bailed but he stayed..most awesome..

Getting his climbing legs in to help Majka come TDF time?

Uhm, TMobile rode Pinarello in those days.

They only rode these in 2004/5

http://stlbiking.com/forum/uploads/monthly_04_2012/post-955-0-47828700-1333551500.jpg

Yeah I'm going nuts :ph34r:  :eek:

Hi Gummi. Many thanks for the feedback.

Think I'm going to do a check on the various GT's and see which of the manufacturers have won the title.

Would be interesting to see.

My guess would be Pinarello, for the most wins - off the top of my head - from Indurain's days onwards.

Hi Gummi. Many thanks for the feedback.

Think I'm going to do a check on the various GT's and see which of the manufacturers have won the title.

Would be interesting to see.

My guess would be Pinarello, for the most wins - off the top of my head - from Indurain's days onwards.

post-5455-0-82455400-1496072679_thumb.png

post-5455-0-70864900-1496072765_thumb.png

I'm not sure the giro thread is enjoying all this Tour de France talk ..... hint hint Cav time to start the TDF 2017 thread

Bonus started one a few seasons ago  :rolleyes:

Back to the Giro..

Isn't it cool that Bennett finished the Giro..all the other sprinters bailed but he stayed..most awesome..

Getting his climbing legs in to help Majka come TDF time?

That's impressive hey

Sagz will be proud

Yip.. someone who will lay it all on the line for a chance at glory ... few of them around.

As long as what there is tar to ride, no matter the deficit he will fight to the bitter end ..Now if he can just stay on his bike. [emoji35]

Yip, 'Berto, best Grand tour rider of the modern era, you dont get 7 grand tour victories sunning yourself in the peleton.

I am a big 'Berto AND Valverde fan, I am not interested in the politics of it all, I am interested in their racing and they are two of the very best in the peleton, personally I think Valverde is wasted shepherding Quintana around, he has the ability to podium on stages and possibly even overall, the route is not that tough and he is in superb condition.

My pick for a win overall...'Berto.....if he doesn't do it this year he possibly will retire and that will be a calamity,....... .....imagine 3 Grand tours a year of Quintana's racing strategy!!!.  

They only rode these in 2004/5

http://stlbiking.com/forum/uploads/monthly_04_2012/post-955-0-47828700-1333551500.jpg

Yah, remember the SAECO Cannondale's, of the same era, 6/13's I think they were called, they were revolutionary at the time because they were so light they could not ride them, so on one stage where they used them they hung little fishing weights off the handlebars to make up the weight limit.. :) ...SAECO got a big fine for that.

So the next day Simoni and the team rode in specially printed convicts style Lycra (in jest) and SAECO got another a big fine,... it was all fun and SAECO paid with a smile, the advertising alone was worth its weight in gold.

**Sigh** those were the days...!

Froome does well because the Skyborgs are allowed to "pace" the peloton up the climbs, controlling everything.

We've seen it before to isolate Froome, the attacks need to start early on a stage while the 'borgs are still "sleeping".

In an ideal situation, I'd like to see a few teams with 2 good riders, both given equal opportunities for the team leadership rather than working for one person. Think back to when Carlos Sastre won the Tour... Cuddles had to mark both Schlecks and Sastre (all riding for CSC. He just couldn't cover all the attacks on stage 17, and Sastre (41 sec behind at the start of stage 17) put enough time on that stage to stay away from Cuddles.

Somehow missed this yesterday... http://www.procyclingstats.com/articles.php

Giro GC contenders Time Trial capabilities
Published: 2017-05-28   -   views: 2543
Never has the Giro seen a final like this year in the 100th edition. With six riders within one minute and 30 seconds of eachother in the GC with only one stage left is unprecedented. Because the last stage is a time trial, we did a short analyses on the top-4 of the GC. We computed how many times the faced eachother in a time trial, how many times they beat eachother and the average time won or lost per 10k. 

post-1372-0-37382600-1496077143_thumb.png

The above numbers can be read as follows. Quintana has started 12 times in the same time trial as Nibali over the past three years and was 7 times better in the result. However, the zero between brackets means that on average, they had the same time. Quintana has beaten Pinot only 6 times, but on average gained 6 seconds per 10km on him. 

If we look at the results from Dumoulin against the other riders, we see that on average he gains 24 seconds per 10k on Quintana, 18 seconds on Nibali and 20 seconds on Pinot. 

If we would take these averages and plot them against the current GC, the result would look something like this.

1. Tom Dumoulin 
2. Nairo Quintana +15
3. Vincenzo Nibali +45
4. Thibault Pinot +55

Archived