Anthem for Trance

Darren van Deventer

I know this has been asked time and time again but I'm in a predicament I have a Anthem X1 2015 like new I'm thinking of selling for the 2016 Giant Trance I mainly ride Giba and Karkloof do the 20km Roag rides but will move onto the 40kms as soon as I'm fit enough want to do Berg and Bush, I'm not out there for podiums just want to have as much fun as possible now the Anthem is better spec'd will this be a loss on my part? I find the anthem a bit too sketchy around Giba on certain downhills when going at speed rode a anthem and it's a breeze down the same sections but then climbing it's the opposite effect I'm really stuck please any advice would be appreciated

Get the trance, it's more than capable of going uphill. I've done 50km+ rides on one, really is an all rounder that has +5 in the downhill attribute. Gone are the days where really long headtubes coupled with 140mm+ forks caused wandering front ends.

I rode a 2016 Trance for just short of a year. I can't compare it to the Anthem as I haven't spent any time on one, but all I can say is that the Trance is a great bike - it's no slouch uphill, and is very capable on the techy bits where the trail points downwards  :thumbup:

You will very easily cover long distances on it, my usual rides were between 50 and 60km, which it handled quite comfortably. 

If you can try get the 2017 model though, standard 1x drivetrain and a Fox 34 instead of the 32 on the 2016 model.

I have a 2016 trance and love it! Great downhill and if you have a decent level of fitness uphills are easy! I run a 32t 11-40T and have done 60km routes with up to 1800m elevation and not had a problem. Often do 40/50km rides even one or two on the road. Have not ridden the anthem so can't compare myself but the trance has managed all the XC events so far and downhills a blast ????????

I know this has been asked time and time again but I'm in a predicament I have a Anthem X1 2015 like new I'm thinking of selling for the 2016 Giant Trance I mainly ride Giba and Karkloof do the 20km Roag rides but will move onto the 40kms as soon as I'm fit enough want to do Berg and Bush, I'm not out there for podiums just want to have as much fun as possible now the Anthem is better spec'd will this be a loss on my part? I find the anthem a bit too sketchy around Giba on certain downhills when going at speed rode a anthem and it's a breeze down the same sections but then climbing it's the opposite effect I'm really stuck please any advice would be appreciated

I was stuck in the same position as you a couple years back. Couldn't decide between the anthem and the trance . I bought the anthem , which was an awesome bike ... But..... I couldn't get the trance off my mind. Ended up buying a trance a couple months later and never road the anthem again .. Well I did one xc race on the anthem after that and wished the whole way that I had taken the trance . Long story short , they are both great bikes , the anthem is more serious, the trance is just a whole lot more fun! Trance is the perfect trail bike for Giba , karkloof etc ... I raced many an Enduros on mine

Trance trance trance!!! (I've just got a reign advanced so my opinion may change.... its a size up from my trance and weighs the same) but seriously the trance is awesome fun and looks rad with a set of 2.4 tyres!!!

I had a 2104 Anthem which I sold for a 2015 Trance.

The anthem was 29er and the trance is 27.5.

For my riding the Trance is the better bike. It climbs nearly as well as the Anthem albeit I didnt upgrade for the ups. Going down there is no comparison, Trance is was more capable. Combination of geometry and the increase in travel I suppose.

All down to budget, Anthems are not holding their value lately.

Archived