Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

Attempting my first full after a few half's. Pretty excited/nervous already so can't imagine what I'll be feeling like when the goggles go on!

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attempting my first full after a few half's. Pretty excited/nervous already so can't imagine what I'll be feeling like when the goggles go on!

When the cannon goes off the water will be inside ur goggles

When does your taper start? I would rather count training days. So excited for you guys. 

Well, i aint thought that one out clearly yet to be honest... last year i cycled the route (more or less) 2 days before the event which was an error but live an learn. 

I guess my taper will start the weekend before IM so then its only 41 days with the last week a couple of short runs and one short cycle. Will also do a cycle in PE but restrict it to 20 kays or so. 

Also will be having a mini taper before Durban ultra and other half distances(if i do them) so realistically around 30 days of training left basically. With rest days and an easy week in the mix time is short. 

soon the numbers will be published then its real. Getting excited about it too to be honest. While i have the experience and the knowledge that i can do it the days always springs surprises.... 

Getting excited about it too to be honest. 

Well, if you are counting the days, I would call that excitement.  :thumbup:

I would be bouncing off walls. Lots of hard work and prep for half a day on the road/in the water will do that. 

Eish, been struggling with flu/tummy bug the last 2 weeks, so basically did nothing. Luckily I had a relatively good January. Hope I can still make up for some of the lost time over the next month. Oh well, it is what it is I guess? 

Eish, been struggling with flu/tummy bug the last 2 weeks, so basically did nothing. Luckily I had a relatively good January. Hope I can still make up for some of the lost time over the next month. Oh well, it is what it is I guess? 

I had flu for the first 10 days of 2017, it was frustrating as hell but it is what it is. It did push my training a bit back but there is enough time to over come it. Don't try catch up the lost miles.

ease into it and build for the next 5 weeks or so..should be fine.

I had flu for the first 10 days of 2017, it was frustrating as hell but it is what it is. It did push my training a bit back but there is enough time to over come it. Don't try catch up the lost miles.

ease into it and build for the next 5 weeks or so..should be fine.

Thx. Ja, just gonna roll with it. No point in overdoing it at this time, might just end up getting injured. I will be 10% underprepared come race day (as per usual... :P ) 

6 weeks today I wake up in PE, have leisurely breakfast, a lil swim a lil cycle a lil massage and plenty of rest. Maybe a sneaky beer at Barneys too.

6 weeks today I wake up in PE, have leisurely breakfast, a lil swim a lil cycle a lil massage and plenty of rest. Maybe a sneaky beer at Barneys too.

Piss off, you're making me nervous. :D

What? No lil run?

Guys that are doing Durbs Ultra, before going on to IM in PE...

Do you go flat-out in Durban and love the short distance, or take it easy and practice IM pacing, and (I suppose) recover a lot faster for the last few weeks of training before PE?

Guys that are doing Durbs Ultra, before going on to IM in PE...

Do you go flat-out in Durban and love the short distance, or take it easy and practice IM pacing, and (I suppose) recover a lot faster for the last few weeks of training before PE?

Good question, I was thinking of going flat out until halfway on the bike then making a decision. I want to have a good Durban event as each time I have done a half there I have had an issue of some sort be it Trirock or Ironman. So the plan this time is to go flat out until half way on the bike and see timewise whether I should continue going flat out or ease up. Would like a PB in Durban for some confidence for IM.

4 weeks between the 2 is more than enough I reckon. I train a half pretty much every weekend anyway (if not more)

Archived