Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

Agreed, don't try and make up for lost time, otherwise it may impact your recovery or tapering which is at least as important as fitness.  Your mileage is already higher than what I did for my IM's, you'll be fine.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you do this ride at the cradle on Sunday? How was that fog!? Felt like I swam through the first hour..

Sat on my IDT and Binge watched, I was a bit gatvol of the cradle, got gatvol of the TV quite quickly also, amazing how ones viewing prferences changes when you train. The more skop skiet en donner the quicker the time went.    

Tell you one thing, if I had to add all my recovery time recommended by Garmin I would be tapering from now until 2 April eating big korn bites and drinking coke

Tell you one thing, if I had to add all my recovery time recommended by Garmin I would be tapering from now until 2 April eating big korn bites and drinking coke

I've been tapering for roughly 5 months...

Question for the locals-I am thinking of breaking out the tubbies for this year but worried about punctures-will be riding 50mm wheel with 25mm  Conti Tubbies. Just dont want to puncture and if I run a tubby at the pressure a 25mm allows with a bit of slime I should be okay?  

Or do I just stick to my 60mm with Conti Clinchers?

I dont know what the road looks like if it has deteriorated since last year?

Question for the locals-I am thinking of breaking out the tubbies for this year but worried about punctures-will be riding 50mm wheel with 25mm  Conti Tubbies. Just dont want to puncture and if I run a tubby at the pressure a 25mm allows with a bit of slime I should be okay?  

Or do I just stick to my 60mm with Conti Clinchers?

I dont know what the road looks like if it has deteriorated since last year?

Clinchers for the win.

While the likelihood of punctures is lessened with tubbies (in theory) I can recover from a puncture with clinchers relatively easily, not so with tubbies.

The route is always fairly clean it must be said, prolly due to the wind so the likelihood of a puncture is realtively small with both sets...

but clinchers give you a lil peace of mind. Over a long day like mine I like all the peace of mind I can get

No change to the road surface, exactly the same as last year. We just had the Herald cycle tour this past weekend and a lot of guys where riding tubbies. I didn't see many people with punctures. I ride the route a lot and there are a few places that you could pick up a puncture but otherwise its fine.

No change to the road surface, exactly the same as last year. We just had the Herald cycle tour this past weekend and a lot of guys where riding tubbies. I didn't see many people with punctures. I ride the route a lot and there are a few places that you could pick up a puncture but otherwise its fine.

Mr Danny Jordaan promised at the awards dinner last year that they would re tar that section which is bumpy....another election promise ignored...cant trust the ANC buggers :wacko:

My theory is that new tubbies are 99% likely not to puncture on good road surface (meaning not a lot of rocks and dirt).  For the past 5 years I have been lucky and it has worked for me.

Seen on the IronMan South Africa Facebook feed: This year's race will be broadcast LIVE on SuperSport, on DSTV channel 199 from start to finish

Going to be very cool to see the race live...

All hubber should post their numbers, we should then make a list and on the couch you can see all the people you talk Sh#t to on a daily basis!!!

This might get me in the food to do full next year!

All hubber should post their numbers, we should then make a list and on the couch you can see all the people you talk Sh#t to on a daily basis!!!

you will need to stay up late to watch me finish, if I get that far

It will be better than watching Comrades and trying to spot your mates. There is about 12000 less people that you have to sift through to find a familiar person. The red carpet is also usually not very crowded so I do think we have a shot of getting our 5 seconds of fame.

Dont think the numbers are out yet-should be out shortly, then it gets real!

Yeah - I am not sure I want to do a full either. After reading through all the issues everyone is having, and the time it takes to train, I don't know if it is worth it for me. The 42km run scares me to no end. I will probably eat my words after June's 70.3, so lets see. 

Archived