Electronic shifting with old derailleurs

carbon29er

Because that is how kickstarter works? Maybe you should have a look at how modern funding of new concepts works.

Even large companies launch products on kickstarter, It's a simple way of gauging demand for a product without wasting money on market research.

As to the product, I bet you have never seen any reason fpr Di2, EPS or eTap either.

But hey, it's the hub, what would life be without gratuitous advice?

Oh, sorry, didn't realise that only 'approved' opinions were allowed.

Guess what, I look at how funding is secured all the time. The old ways have been established over many, many years to minimise risk. Anyone who doesn't ask the questions I have, and a whole bunch more, before stumping up money, is a fool. And we know how fools and their money go.

You might like this quote from a Gizmodo article, on the demise of smartwatch maker Pebble:

If Pebble, one of Kickstarter’s biggest success stories, can fail so spectacularly then why should a consumer put trust in any of the smaller crowdfunding campaigns out there? Just when it was looking like at least some crowdfunding could be trusted, Pebble has proven that you jut can’t. Invest in the crowdfunding future at your own risk.

BOLD is my emphasis for your edification. Full story here: http://gizmodo.com/pebble-is-dead-and-its-customers-are-completely-screwe-1789775408 

Its not for everyone. I knew people even at SRAM that could ride eTap for free, and still preferred manual shifting. That's okay.

Hi Paul, nice to have you commenting here. Can you perhaps answer the questions I posed, specifically 'Why can't you get backing from an investor, or a bank, or as an inventor and engineer, how come are you not prepared to put up a measly $50 000 of your own money? 50 grand isn't exactly a lot of cash.'

Keen to see your reasons - thanks in advance.

Hi Paul, nice to have you commenting here. Can you perhaps answer the questions I posed, specifically 'Why can't you get backing from an investor, or a bank, or as an inventor and engineer, how come are you not prepared to put up a measly $50 000 of your own money? 50 grand isn't exactly a lot of cash.'

Keen to see your reasons - thanks in advance.

It's done buddy. The funds have been raised and paid.

If Pebble, one of Kickstarter’s biggest success stories, can fail so spectacularly then why should a consumer put trust in any of the smaller crowdfunding campaigns out there? Just when it was looking like at least some crowdfunding could be trusted, Pebble has proven that you jut can’t. Invest in the crowdfunding future at your own risk.

BOLD is my emphasis for your edification. Full story here: http://gizmodo.com/pebble-is-dead-and-its-customers-are-completely-screwe-1789775408 

I am well aware of the risks. Thanks for your efforts at educating the cycle community on the failures of an android watch.

It's done buddy. The funds have been raised and paid.

Yes I have seen that; this does not render the questions moot...

I am well aware of the risks. Thanks for your efforts at educating the cycle community on the failures of an android watch.

Don't be willfully ignorant. My post has nothing to do with Android watches and you know it.

Don't be willfully ignorant. My post has nothing to do with Android watches and you know it.

You could have picked a dozen other projects that have failed. The one that was attracted my attention was the cheap power meter that was pulled AFTER the crowd funding units had been produced and packaged for distribution. Brim Bothers I think it was.

Some projects are worth the risk, others are not. I looked at pebble but couldn't work out if I wanted a watch as I don't wear a watch at all. I did not get excited enough to back it. I probably would not have backed apple watch had it gone the same route as I know I know little about watches.

I backed Cycliq on all three of their launches. All 3 worked and I have 2 amazing HD video lights on my bike.

I saw XSHIFTER at one of the bike shows and immediately saw something I liked. When it hit Kickstarter I was more than happy to risk a few hundred dollars to help get it to market.

I appreciate we all have different risk profiles.

Yes I have seen that; this does not render the questions moot...

Am not really seeing what axe you wish to grind?  There are many companies who use crowd funding as a way of raising cash rather than going to the old way of a bank to get the money.  Many have made a success of using Kickstarter or Indiegogo. Many have also tried and failed.

It is more than likely traditional banks with the current economic global climate are adverse to lending on ideas rather than traditional. i.e bricks and mortar or established businesses and this is where crowdfunding takes up the slack.

As for demanding a reason from Paul as to why he chose this route for funding, am not sure who you think you are and why you should be given the time of day!!  I personally would not entertain your demands and quite frankly it is none of your business.

• 2 weeks later...

Am not really seeing what axe you wish to grind?  There are many companies who use crowd funding as a way of raising cash rather than going to the old way of a bank to get the money.  Many have made a success of using Kickstarter or Indiegogo. Many have also tried and failed.

It is more than likely traditional banks with the current economic global climate are adverse to lending on ideas rather than traditional. i.e bricks and mortar or established businesses and this is where crowdfunding takes up the slack.

As for demanding a reason from Paul as to why he chose this route for funding, am not sure who you think you are and why you should be given the time of day!!  I personally would not entertain your demands and quite frankly it is none of your business.

I'm not 'demanding' anything and the minute you publicly request money on Kickstarter, it is everyone's business. Otherwise, don't put it in public forums, yeah?

No axe to grind, it's just that in my line of work, I see a tendency for people not to ask basic questions when investing in the next big thing. 'New ways' don't mean abandoning 'common sense', not in my view, at any rate. The questions I posed and comments I made are, I believe, perfectly reasonable. You don't have to agree with them by any means, but since when can someone not ask questions or share opinions on a public forum about a public request for money? Gosh.

Archived