Best Garmin for MTB Trail/Adventure

Kranswurm

Hi

I want to buy a Garmin for my bike.

Looking for the best option for trail/adventuring/exploration

Any recomendations?

Have a 520 and love it. 820 seems to be a slightly better version. The most notable difference being routing.

You can also load all the cycling maps from OpenStreetMaps on it which can be useful if you take a wrong turn somewhere.

The 800 series, awesome device. I use it for riding, hiking, and even while mowing the lawn once!

Can load your own maps, create routes from pc and load to device, and the new ones have bluetooth etc.

Seriously cant recommend more... has changed my riding, I can go out and get as lost as I like, and always find my way back!

While on this topic....

Anyone know if you can update the maps on the 520 to show a little more than an arrow in the middle of nowhere?

I have looked all over and done all the updates possible but cannot find anything map specific  :wacko:  :blink:  :mellow:

While on this topic....

Anyone know if you can update the maps on the 520 to show a little more than an arrow in the middle of nowhere?

I have looked all over and done all the updates possible but cannot find anything map specific  :wacko:  :blink:  :mellow:

For maps on the 520, check out this post by dcrainmaker. Get any maps you want onto the 520. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

Sent my request for the map of SA.....now I have to wait 13 days for the file to be put together, thereafter I will receive another mail to download it. I then have 248 hours before it is removed from their server  :w00t:

lets see...

EDIT: can't choose the entire SA map as it is 127MB and I only have about 100MB and I still need space for activity saving....

Had to select a few regions to get it down to 52MB.

Edited by Mr lee

Ok didn't have to wait that long. Just finished and it shows all streets now.

Couldn't select the entire SA map as that was over 127MB and there is only a total of 100MB!

For this reason only I would advise to get the 820 if you have the money. Otherwise the 520 will do more than you ever need...