Custom Fabrication

Grease_Monkey

I have got an old Spez Epic that I have converted to a commuter. The shock is 10 years old and getting it set up for my weight in such a way that it is permanently locked out without damaging it is proving to be a challenge. I am keen to turn it into a hardtail. Because of the design I think it is possible by simply removing the shaft onto which the shock is attached and replacing it with an aluminium shaft which will effectively lock out the rear.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can have the fabrication of said shaft done in Pretoria?

Pic attached for reference:

post-82251-0-86361600-1479478161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I have got an old Spez Epic that I have converted to a commuter. The shock is 10 years old and getting it set up for my weight in such a way that it is permanently locked out without damaging it is proving to be a challenge. I am keen to turn it into a hardtail. Because of the design I think it is possible by simply removing the shaft onto which the shock is attached and replacing it with an aluminium shaft which will effectively lock out the rear.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can have the fabrication of said shaft done in Pretoria?

You should read the manual on that shock - should be easy to set the brain so it takes a whack to activate the shock - assuming it works - given it's age.

You should read the manual on that shock - should be easy to set the brain so it takes a whack to activate the shock - assuming it works - given it's age.

Ja... used to be very easy - and it worked like a bomb, but it's very old and been in for numerous services by specialized in order to fix it, but with no luck, it is non-stop pedal bob. My wife used it for the last couple years, and she is alot lighter than me so she didnt have too many issues, unfortunately I am not going to get it to work for me. And seeing as it is now used exclusively on the road with slicks I would prefer it to be a hardtail...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Hi guys. Not sure if this is the right forum. Anyway, any thoughts on the makeshift derailleur hanger in the image? How safe is this? Feels quite solid.

post-87056-0-00321700-1479554449_thumb.jpg

Why not just swop it for a hardtail in the classifieds?

Sentimental attachment to the bike... had it for 10 years now. And I love the geo for a commutter.

Why not just swop it for a hardtail in the classifieds?