15mm Thru axle fork - 9mm QR Hub/wheel

worriesnot

Before trawling the web for an answer I thought maybe there's someone here who's done it before:

So, with a FOX fork 15mm thru axle and hub/wheel with 9mm QR - is there an adapter/kit/bits to make the two go together? 

In the process of getting an entry level MTB for the wife. Forks on most entry level bikes are not great and I have a FOX in very good condition hanging on the wall I can use. It however has a 15mm thru axle and most entry level bikes come with qr.

Just thinking of future upgrade possibilities...

What hub do you have? If it's not one with replaceable end caps, then I'm afraid not. Not unless you manufacture some bespoke inserts for the fork lowers and re-thread a rear QR axle, cos a normal front one will be too short. 

What hub do you have? If it's not one with replaceable end caps, then I'm afraid not. Not unless you manufacture some bespoke inserts for the fork lowers and re-thread a rear QR axle, cos a normal front one will be too short. 

Dunno yet... still need to decide on a bike.

One she likes most is the Spaz Pitch - in baby blue (colour of course is the most important thing).

Sounds like it is possible though so will do some further digging - just a thought and wanted to check if anyone's done it.

The hub needs to have bearings with an inner race large enough to accept the 15mm adapter.  This rules out most entry level wheels which generally have 9mm axles with cup and cone bearings.

The hub needs to have bearings with an inner race large enough to accept the 15mm adapter.  This rules out most entry level wheels which generally have 9mm axles with cup and cone bearings.

Ja pretty much came to the same conclusion after some searching.

Will have to rebuild the wheel with a thru axle hub to take the fork.

Rapide has a good option at R700 odd (hub only) so can go this route if deciding to upgrade the standard fork the Pitch comes with. 

Don't forget the spokes and nipples

yep. so another R400-R500 

and then whatever a shop is going to charge for the build. 

If it was a 20mm fox fork you could get adapters that fit the fork to run a qr wheel. Won't work with the 15mm fox fork unless the hub gets changed.

yep. so another R400-R500 

and then whatever a shop is going to charge for the build. 

R380 per wheel for the build.  I can quote on a hub as well if you let me know the number of spoke holes.

Archived