The Classics

'Dale

Yah, for sure, I agree, QS have played some odd tactics lately, putting someone in the break then ostensibly telling him not to work is unfathomable to me.

QS out foxed themselves on Sunday.

Obviously the plan was to ride on Sagan's wheel to the end and if the break got caught to launch one of there other riders for the win.. unfortunately for them Sagan decided.. well screw you all I am not dragging you to the line and covering all the gaps this time round..

very negative racing and they went home with nothing.

I laughed Terpstra said they just need some luck.. flip man working with the champ will almost guarantee you a shot at the win.. what more do you want[emoji53]

Edited by Gen

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news.. *kinda sort of on topic..kinda*

GILBERT won the opening stage of De Panne..

In other news.. *kinda sort of on topic..kinda*

GILBERT won the opening stage of De Panne..

PhilGil looking good hey

Keep forgetting he's a Stepper now that he's in his ???????? colours

PhilGil looking good hey

Keep forgetting he's a Stepper now that he's in his ???????? colours

Looking very good

Ja at GW I felt that they knew that there would be no bunch sprint for the win from the 20k mark. So yes odd tactics. Very odd. However at DDV they got their tactics almost spot on in getting the sting out of Durbridge's legs as he was the biggest threat in a sprint and got a 1 2 for their efforts. So QS has been a bit schizophrenic this season ito tactics imho.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Yah, I didnt watch the entire DDV but from the bits I saw Durbridge was also sitting on for a long time, so one assumes, by not contributing he saw the writing on the wall and knew they would play the old "one / two" so he didnt really have much chance, but I dont think he raced negatively he just hoped to stay a little fresher and did try and bridge over, so he put in the effort,... but by then it was a done deal.

Obviously the plan was to ride on Sagan's wheel to the end and if the break got caught to launch one of there other riders for the win.. unfortunately for them Sagan decided.. well screw you all I am not dragging you to the line and covering all the gaps this time round..

I laughed Terpstra said they just need some luck.. flip man working with the champ will almost guarantee you a shot at the win.. what more do you want[emoji53]

Yah, some (like Gary Player :)  ) would say, you make your own luck,.....Terpstra wouldnt assist to catch the break but he was happy to chase Sagan down, no luck there, its a planned action, and just very negative racing from QS in my opinion.

Maybe as you say they were hoping the break would get caught, but with around a minute to play with it was a long shot, had Terpstra contributed he may still have lost, but at least he would have had a chance, to me anyway thats a much better option than sitting 20 seconds back where you certainly dont have any chance.    

Yah, I didnt watch the entire DDV but from the bits I saw Durbridge was also sitting on for a long time, so one assumes, by not contributing he saw the writing on the wall and knew they would play the old "one / two" so he didnt really have much chance, but I dont think he raced negatively he just hoped to stay a little fresher and did try and bridge over, so he put in the effort,... but by then it was a done deal.

Durbridge also had very little help from the Astana rider, Lutsenko iirc. Durbridge tried covering the attacks by both Gilbert and Lampaert and in the last 10k's had nothing to give. Even when they were just keeping the break going Durbo did his bit with the pacemaking. Durbo was just plain unlucky not for lack of effort but because of superior numbers against him.

Durbridge also had very little help from the Astana rider, Lutsenko iirc. Durbridge tried covering the attacks by both Gilbert and Lampaert and in the last 10k's had nothing to give. Even when they were just keeping the break going Durbo did his bit with the pacemaking. Durbo was just plain unlucky not for lack of effort but because of superior numbers against him.

Yah, agreed, but unlike Terpsta I didn't feel he raced negatively, he really tried, but I think he well knew his chances were slim, the numbers were definitely against him.

Like GOG and I noted it's odd tactics from QS. They really need to remember that Sagan isn't the only major player at the spring classics especially with the form that both Kwia and GVA has shown so far. And it was definitely clear that it was going to be the break that was going to contest the win and as such it would have been more beneficial for Terpstra to them be QS's man for the win. Which should've meant working with Sagan rather than just sitting in on his wheel. So very odd tactics from them.

Yah, agreed, but unlike Terpsta I didn't feel he raced negatively, he really tried, but I think he well knew his chances were slim, the numbers were definitely against him.

Yes indeed. Gotta respect him for racing and not just sitting in. Durbridge can become a real contender at the classics! Fine fine racer.

One of the cool features I noticed yesterday was the in-car camera on some teams (Lotto Soudal, Trek Segafredo - can't remember the others).

Marginally off topic it's why I enjoy Orica Scotts's backstage pass they also show what happens in the team car.

No cracks on the marginal gains