Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

Rather buy a different make of GPS. My screen cracked on the 820 after a bad fall. Unit is still 100% functional. R2280 to repair/replace the screen. Only 1 Garmin service center in the country that is in Rosebank. They advertise a 48hr turnaround time. After 4 days they cant even tell me what the status of my repair is. I phoned them about 10 times, waited 13 mins after being transferred, put the phone down after no answer. It is almost as bad as phoning the municipality.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone confirm how many devices can be connected via Ant+?

Im doing some indoor training and use TrainerRoad , wahoo kickr / HR Strap and cadence sensors connect via Ant+ to trainerroad.....I also have my Garmin 820 connect to them all and it still work.....only reason why im asking is because i was told you cant or musnt connect so many device at once?

I tought you will only have a problem when bluetooth connect to multipe devices

• 1 year later...

Hi hubbers!

Does anyone know what you can do to get more battery life out of Edge 820?

Currently HR Strap / Cadence Sensor and Power Meter connected toward my Garmin.

Could only get 7hrs on the ride this weekend.

Any advice?

Hi hubbers!

Any advice?

What setup do you have, i.e. screen brightness, gps+glonass or just gps, bluetooth on, always have map showing, etc?  I have same setup as you except for the power meter and most long rides my 820 lasts at least 10 hours

Hi hubbers!

Any advice?

How bright is your screen and how long does the light stay on for? Do you have smart recording on?

What setup do you have, i.e. screen brightness, gps+glonass or just gps, bluetooth on, always have map showing, etc?  I have same setup as you except for the power meter and most long rides my 820 lasts at least 10 hours

Will double check screen brightness......gps+glonass yes.......bluetooth on, not sure about the map.

Screen stays on the entire ride

How bright is your screen and how long does the light stay on for? Do you have smart recording on?

Screen remains on for entire ride, not sure about smart recording

Will double check screen brightness......gps+glonass yes.......bluetooth on, not sure about the map.

Map doesn't make such a big difference though, but navigating a ride decrease battery life a little.  I would say your biggest issue is probably that your screen stays on, and brightness.  I think my brightness is set to 50% and I don't have issues seeing, and time-out I think is set to 1 or 2min.

Maybe change the screen time-out times and do another test.

Otherwise if you planning 10+ hour rides, you can always charge it on the go with a powerbank or a light battery

Screen remains on for entire ride, not sure about smart recording

Screen as in backlight? I was having issues with my 520 but my screen brightness was 100% and on permanently. Now it's 10% and only on for 30 seconds. Smart recording was another suggestion made to me but mine was set to on as default.

Map doesn't make such a big difference though, but navigating a ride decrease battery life a little.  I would say your biggest issue is probably that your screen stays on, and brightness.  I think my brightness is set to 50% and I don't have issues seeing, and time-out I think is set to 1 or 2min.

Maybe change the screen time-out times and do another test.

Otherwise if you planning 10+ hour rides, you can always charge it on the go with a powerbank or a light battery

When you say time-out I assume it is when the screen goes off while recording?? Maybe that will help :-)

Done some research now and smart recording can also be turned off, but not sure what difference it will make and if it will effect accurate gps recordings.

Many thanks!

When you say time-out I assume it is when the screen goes off while recording?? Maybe that will help :-)

Done some research now and smart recording can also be turned off, but not sure what difference it will make and if it will effect accurate gps recordings.

Many thanks!

Meant screen as in Back light like LWB mentioned.

The writing remains on the screen the light just goes off, so you can still read.  (not at night, unless you have a head light ;) )

Just double checked my settings, brightness set to 30%, backlight timeout 1 min, smart recording turned on

Turn off BT and WiFi and goole that you will find more answers