Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

I have read very bad reviews on the "touchscreen" of the EDGE 820 (especially when out in the sun with 25+ degrees), with basically 50/50 (good/bad).

Any HUBBERS using the 820...and any reviews please?

The 820 has so many awesome features and difficult not to give it a chance...or would the 520 be the obvious choice???

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to get the 820 as an upgrade from my 510, which really has been faultless. Don't like the buttons on the 520, prefer touchscreen. Quite interested to hear comments regarding the 820

I have the 820, it is far superior to the 520. Memory and navigation are light years ahead on the 820.

The 820 is great unit and had all the features that I wanted in a cycling unit. I've had an issue where the screen just froze when I tried swipe between screens, showing different information. I got frustrated and just left it for a while and continuing with the ride. After 10 min, it came right again and worked as advertised. Personally I think it's a processing issue, but I'm no expert. It has happened 3 times since then and it always came right. It's a great unit if you can live with this issue and have a bit of patience with it when it happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,

I have both and this is my opinion only.

The main difference is the touch screen and routable navigation... that is about all.

Personally I don't like the touchscreen. I mtb in long gloves and with dust etc the screen gets scratched.

I don't need routable navigation. I have loaded a Open Steets maps onto the 520 so I now have maps but can't do a street search etc. Not a drama for me.

Net result, my 520 is perfect for my needs. The 820 is a good unit but not worth the extra money for my needs...

PS - My 820 reads elevation of -40m at sea level. I few mates have the same issue and I'm sure Garmin will fix that in the future...

Hope that helps.

I have read very bad reviews on the "touchscreen" of the EDGE 820 (especially when out in the sun with 25+ degrees), with basically 50/50 (good/bad).

Any HUBBERS using the 820...and any reviews please?

The 820 has so many awesome features and difficult not to give it a chance...or would the 520 be the obvious choice???

I would like to have a unit that can be used for the odd MTB stage race (S2C, B&B, etc), but that might only be once a year / every 2 years and if that is basically the only difference, then the 520 looks like the way to go...but the 820 is so inviting  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

I have the 820, it is far superior to the 520. Memory and navigation are light years ahead on the 820.

No real BIG issues on your side and happy with the unit? On paper the 820 makes SO much more sense?  :eek:

Be careful of touch screens. Especially if you MTB - as stated above, they get very scratched up and obviously dont like long finger gloves.

With a software update those bugs on the 820 will be cleared up, the 520 has been great to many but i think the features of the 820 is far superior its like a Edge1000 in a 520 body according to some reviews.

If the 820 touch screen is like the 510, then you'll be fine with gloves. Of course, you'll need to look after it. I put my finger through my 510 screen, and had ended up with NavWorld giving me an upgrade. I may have been a bit ham-handed with the thing, but can you guarantee you won't either? I wouldn't get a touch screen again.

Have been running an 820 for a while now and no issues with screen or anything else.  Been used in stage races, hot, cold, muddy etc. I use it quite a bit to ride internationally on holidays and with free open street maps is superb for navigation in new areas, bigger screen, routable navigation and an SD card that you can load lots of different area maps on, exchange cards, expand etc while 520 limited to on board memory. 

I think it comes down to the ability to carry more maps and route better, if that is a driver for you then worth it.

Archived