Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you load the entire South Africa map?

I have, works very well. Far better than the Garmin maps and more off road detail too.

Anyone had an issue with the Bluetooth before on the 520?

After my ride this morning I noticed it didn't auto upload like it normally does. My gps battery was low and just before I finished it gave a warning. So I thought maybe that's why. I charged it and its now 100%. Have switched BT off/on on both phone and gps and they still not connecting with each other. I haven't changed anything since yesterday and this morning. When I go into my rides(menu, history, rides) and try upload it manually, it doesn't even give me the option and previously it used to give the option. When I go into phone settings and search for BT devices my garmin doesn't even come up. I never actually switch my phone BT off so normally when I turn on my edge I get a message saying connected to phone. Can't remember if I got that this morning.

HELP PLEASE.........

Has happened to me a couple of times as well. First two times involved just a re-connect. The most recent time, which is still ongoing, turns out to be a Bluetooth issue on my phone, so nothing to do with the garmin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone had an issue with the Bluetooth before on the 520?

After my ride this morning I noticed it didn't auto upload like it normally does. My gps battery was low and just before I finished it gave a warning. So I thought maybe that's why. I charged it and its now 100%. Have switched BT off/on on both phone and gps and they still not connecting with each other. I haven't changed anything since yesterday and this morning. When I go into my rides(menu, history, rides) and try upload it manually, it doesn't even give me the option and previously it used to give the option. When I go into phone settings and search for BT devices my garmin doesn't even come up. I never actually switch my phone BT off so normally when I turn on my edge I get a message saying connected to phone. Can't remember if I got that this morning.

HELP PLEASE.........

I’ve had issues with my iPhone. In the end, I had to forget the device on my phone for both connections, removed my phone from the edge. Restarted the edge and the phone, re-paired everything from scratch using the Garmin Connect app. And it worked. I’ve had to do this several times in the past. It’s a real pain!!

I have to say, I am super disappointed in Garmin’s software, especially their Connect stuff.

You also might have a device update pending. So plug it into your computer using a micro usb cable and then sync it using the Garmin software. Then repeat the procedure above.

Has happened to me a couple of times as well. First two times involved just a re-connect. The most recent time, which is still ongoing, turns out to be a Bluetooth issue on my phone, so nothing to do with the garmin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve had issues with my iPhone. In the end, I had to forget the device on my phone for both connections, removed my phone from the edge. Restarted the edge and the phone, re-paired everything from scratch using the Garmin Connect app. And it worked. I’ve had to do this several times in the past. It’s a real pain!!

I have to say, I am super disappointed in Garmin’s software, especially their Connect stuff.

You also might have a device update pending. So plug it into your computer using a micro usb cable and then sync it using the Garmin software. Then repeat the procedure above.

Sorted, Plugged the garmin into my pc, it turns itself on, it did a few things and then connected to my phone. Lets hope this doesn't happen often!

Hi Guys:

Anyone of you gone to Garmin watches (Fenix 3 or 5) and used that for all your cycling needs instead of the cycling computers? I was thinking of getting the Fenix 5 and replace my old Edge 820. Can the watches do turn by turn navigation?

Hi Guys:

Anyone of you gone to Garmin watches (Fenix 3 or 5) and used that for all your cycling needs instead of the cycling computers? I was thinking of getting the Fenix 5 and replace my old Edge 820. Can the watches do turn by turn navigation?

Fenix 5 does.  Not the 3

I have a 3.  It will most likely do everything an 820 can do.

The battery life, I suspect, will be an issue though.  But I might be wrong.

Cool thanks. You happy with the 3? Does it meet your needs? I really just want basic stuff without looking at my stem.....

Cool thanks. You happy with the 3? Does it meet your needs? I really just want basic stuff without looking at my stem.....

Love my 3.

Still cannot see myself forking out the difference to the 5.

The 5 basically does mapping and has a better colour screen.  Not much further.

I am moving to the UK next year, and will need to use a Garmin to read maps, load routes, find my way home ect ect. (also perhaps use in for driving?)

Am I correct in assuming that the 820 would be the better unit due to me using it largely for navigation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am moving to the UK next year, and will need to use a Garmin to read maps, load routes, find my way home ect ect. (also perhaps use in for driving?)

Am I correct in assuming that the 820 would be the better unit due to me using it largely for navigation?

The 520 would also work but yes the 820 will do the job and space won't be an issue for all the maps.  if you have not bought a unit you might want to wait and buy it when you land in the UK. Will be much cheaper.  I bought the 820 for what you guys would pay for the 820 in SA.

If navigation is the main reason for the Garmin, the 1000 is apparently the bomb. With no touch screen issues and a bigger screen to navigate! 

Archived